Y Couloir in a week?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
GerryRigged
14ers: 24  24  3 
13ers: 13 11 2
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Y Couloir in a week?

Post by GerryRigged »

My partner and I were concerened the snow in the couloirs would be so frozen we couldn't hold an edge. Maybe we miss-jugged.
Anyway I did get a ski off the highest pile of snow in the parking lot and only had to take the skis off to cross the road. :-D
crazydiamond80
14ers: 53 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by crazydiamond80 »

Anyone doing this over the weekend? A buddy and I were planning on it but he bailed on me. I was gonna stay at Barr Camp either Saturday or Sunday night then hit it the following morning. If I can't find anyone I may just hike to the top via the Barr trail.

I'm curious, is doing the Y solo not advisable? My understanding is there's a small rock ledge a ways up that some people choose to rope up on but other than that it seems fairly tame.

Thanks
kman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kman »

crazydiamond80 wrote:Anyone doing this over the weekend? A buddy and I were planning on it but he bailed on me. I was gonna stay at Barr Camp either Saturday or Sunday night then hit it the following morning. If I can't find anyone I may just hike to the top via the Barr trail.

I'm curious, is doing the Y solo not advisable? My understanding is there's a small rock ledge a ways up that some people choose to rope up on but other than that it seems fairly tame.

Thanks
I did the Y this past Saturday (with my brother), and thought the conditions were excellent. The rock wall that has to be negotiated was not that big of an obstacle and has a ribbon of snow through it that you can simply climb up. I've also soloed the Y twice before, over the years. I don't think it's a big deal, as long as you have the stamina, energy, and endurance to get yourself up the mountain and you are confident in your climbing abilities. Of course, you always have the folks who tell you to never go solo anywhere, not even to the grocery store. Kevin Baker climbed the Y on Sunday and posted this slideshow under the trip reports tab. This will give you an idea of what you would be facing. http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=13494
If you opt for Barr Trail, be aware of this posting on the El Paso County SAR facebook page:

****El Paso County Search and Rescue******
Monday
Friends, we have been called to the face of Pikes Peak three times in the last three days for people thinking they can summit the peak. The snow is deep, drifted and unstable in places. The trail, Barr Trail, is not marked or passable from about a 1/4 mile past the "2 miles to go sign." The tracks that are up there are from rescue teams and are not safe to follow. If you go up, be prepared to come down...all the way to Barr Camp or the base. Thanks! and be careful out there.