Looking for Advice

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kropdustin
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Looking for Advice

Post by kropdustin »

I am out in Colorado this weekend and was hoping to climb another Fourteener. After the recent snows I'm guessing that it's pretty difficult to make the ascents. I have all my gear including spikes and snowshoes. What peaks would be most kind at this time of year? I prefer routes with minimal exposure. Will the Front Range peaks be more friendly or should I be heading west of Denver to search out peaks?
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Looking for Advice

Post by Cruiser »

Quandary
Where ever you are... There you are.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Definitely Quandary. Also suggest you get out Saturday morning, as the rest of the weekend might be a bit harsh. If you stash your snowshoes, be sure to put big rocks on them or the 50 mph wind gusts might remove them from the mountain.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Quandary would probably be the best bet, but keep in mind that Saturday is forecasted to have high winds and Sunday looks stormy. Even on Saturday, it could be really nasty up there because of the wind. Go prepared.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kropdustin
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kropdustin »

Thank you for the advice!
"And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains..."
snowymountainsrock
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowymountainsrock »

I am also interested in climbing Quandary in a week. I was wondering if the route will still be safe after this week. There is lots of snow with 40+ mph wind predicted on tues. and wed. and even right now on CAIC, the area is already in considerable avy danger. Will the East Ridge be safe after that storm? If not, are there any other avy safe routes on any other 14ers?
Thanks
colokeith
14ers: 39  2 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (7)

Post by colokeith »

I am not an avalanche expert.... however, I would say it is still safe. There is an area right after timberline that could be trouble if you get off trail. The ridge towards the top can build up a pretty good cornice if there has been a lot of blowing snow so make sure you give it a wide birth to ensure you are solid ground.
To climb is to push yourself in a way you might not normally imagine is possible. If your stamina, skill, and luck are sound you will get to stand on top. ... I realized that with climbing, I'd found something that nourished my soul and could forge me into a better version myself - Jim Davidson
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

The big storm last night raised the avy danger and it looks like much of the mountains will be getting additional snow this week according to http://opensnow.com/state/CO. I would expect the avy danger to stay elevated for most of the week but drop a few days after the snow passes and conditions start to settle. Some of the safer winter routes with concern to avy danger include Quandary Peak's East Ridge and Mt Elbert's East Ridge, as both of these routes follow ridge lines and avoid steep terrain. A great resource for investigating routes is http://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=39.39721 ... =0.25&a=sf which shows the slope angle of any mountain. Staying on slopes under 25 degrees is generally considered avy safe in cold snow conditions. You can see from the above link the route for Quandary's East Ridge stays below 27 degrees.

Throughout most of the winter, people have hiked Quandary's East Ridge when the avalanche danger has been "considerable". As colokeith mentioned, around 13,200' a cornice forms on the south (left in the photo) side of the trail, so just be careful not get too close to the edge as the cornice could give way. Also be aware that later in the day when things start to warm up the snow will become very sloppy. It's best to get out early morning when the snow is still solid.

Here's a photo of the cornice building off to the left. If you stay on the rocky ridge line you'll be fine. Have a great hike!
snowymountainsrock
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowymountainsrock »

Thank you very much for the help. I am assuming snowshoes are a necesity, especially below treeline for Quandary?

And just out of curiosity, does anyone know if the standard route of Mt. Democrat is avy safe? I looked at the caltopo and it seemed to be on mostly low slope angle, but their was high angle slopes above the trail.
Sorry for all the questions,
Thanks
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Check out this report on a slide in Butler Gulch near the Henderson Mine: https://avalanche.state.co.us/obs/obs_r ... iew=public

Subsequently, CAIC just raised the avy forecast to HIGH for the Front Range and Summit county. I'd recommend postponing any plans until conditions settle down.
climbingaggie03
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingaggie03 »

Pikes peak isn't bad and so far it hasn't snowed here. That might change tonight though...