Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

14ers around Lake City/ SW CO/ San Juans

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

14ers around Lake City/ SW CO/ San Juans

Postby samkeith » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:30 pm

Hey all!

I'm working at a camp in Lake City, CO this summer from May 15-Aug 2 and was wondering if y'all have any recommendations on must-climb 14ers in the San Juan Mts area. I'll have about a day off per week. I'd also like to summit one before I start work on the 15th, would any 14ers be doable without snowshoes or crampons at that time?

Re: 14ers around Lake City/ SW CO/ San Juans

Postby twotyerfryer » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:36 pm

Hmm, you wouldn't happen to be going to Camp Redcloud would you?

Postby schrund » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:39 pm

You'll be able to get Uncompahgre, Handies, Redcloud, Wetterhorn and Sunshine, all in a day each from Lake City. You can combine some of them. We're a bit early yet to be prescribing modes of travel 6 weeks from now, but you'll get it figured out. Enjoy! (edit - Oh, and San Luis too - with a bit of a drive !)
Last edited by schrund on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We did not think of the great open plains, the beautiful rolling hills, and winding streams... as "wild". Only to the white man was nature a "wilderness".
-Luther Standing Bear, Oglala Chief

Postby Mtnman200 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 pm

Sunshine and Redcloud would be the easiest ones to tackle first.

Postby Stephen Butler » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:49 pm

Sneffels is supposed to be one of the most beautiful to climb. It's probably 2 and a half hours (?) from Lake City though. Not sure what the conditions would be like in May...

Postby 3rdGenNative » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:56 pm

As mentioned above, it's hard to say what conditions will be like that far out. HOWEVER, you'll be in one of the most picturesque areas of the state. Sneffels was my first ever 14er. Last summer I got to do Handies, Uncompahgre, and Wetterhorn. Would have gotten Sunshine if a friend would have known how to read a map to the TH. If you're working at Redcloud I'll see you the week of June 16.
"There is more in us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps, for the rest of our lives, we will never again settle for less."
Kurt Hahn-Founder of Outward Bound

"Reading about nature is fine, but if a person walks in the woods and listens carefully, he can learn more than what is in books, for they speak with the voice of God." George Washington Carver

Postby TravelingMatt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:57 pm

San Luis isn't out of the question, especially as a car camp.

Don't ignore all the 13ers nearby, either. Half, Carson, the Jones trio, Animas Forks, 13832/811, and Stewart are all nearby and very worthwhile.
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby HULKHIKEGOOD » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:12 am

Handies!!! It was my first 14er and it was a great experience!!! Loved the views from the summit and the hike up was just as enjoyable. Camping at the grizzly gulch TH was also phenomenal. Great views and great people! And why not knock out Redcloud and Sunshine while your at it!? The shelf road up is an experience as well, but coming from Oklahoma I don't get to see many roads like that. Hope you have a great summer, maybe I will see you on Uncompahgre or San Luis!
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."- Philippians 4:13

Postby peter303 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:38 am

Most years there will be some snow well into June.