Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Water source information for all the 14ers

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Water source information for all the 14ers

Postby Scott P » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:24 am

I used this map, but when I went up there and all the water was frozen. Who do I submit complaints to?
I'm slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:46 am

Scott P wrote:I used this map, but when I went up there all the water was frozen. Who do I submit complaints to?

I think that's obvious...

DYBM!

Site Administrator

Postby BillMiddlebrook » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:13 am

Just another day at the office! 8)

Complaints can be sent to "someoneelseisresponsibleandidemandsatisfaction@14ers.c0m"
Only SNOW will end the madness

Postby TallGrass » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 am

Scott P wrote:I used this map, but when I went up there and all the water was frozen.
Please go back to the route page and cross-reference it with the fire source information tab! :onfire:
Image EW&F: I think one of these is secretly "water."
Last edited by TallGrass on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby milan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:58 pm

ChrisRoberts wrote:
milan wrote:Yeah, this site is full of information, just adding info about water sources on 14ers - it's too much, right? There are like five photographs of cruxes on each of the routes with lines in colors how to get over - just don't add water info, it's too much

How ever will we find water????

Since you responded to my post, I will answer to you. First, I am not saying I can't go to the mountains without a backpack full of printed beta. I just say, it would be nice to have those info available. Nothing more. Second, you posted a map. Now tell me, which of your arrows points to a water source you may use safely without treatment? Since I know the area, I know the most of them are muddy ponds, creeks are connecting them. If you treat it, you probably don't get parasites, you still drink water with strong taste of mud, probably warm in summer. In another areas, you get some heavy metals. I have hiked in many other mountains around the world and I was always drinking from springs or fast flowing streems, less often from high pristine lakes and never had to treat water or filter it. First I did it in RMNP and people freaked out that I am going to die. Well, I learned that drinking from springs or fast flowing (oxygenated) streams tends to be safe. Once in Caucasus, the entire group was drinking from a streem only realizing there was a farm 1 mile upstream and a rottening dead cow was in the middle of that stream. None of us got sick, I guess 1 mile was enough for bacterias to digest it all. And this sort of info is pretty good to have, about springs or about what is upstream. Like there is a spring 300 feet from the campsite, farther up the trail. Or, there is a river but reccomend to filter. Or the river takes water from mines and contains heavy metals. Around the world, lot's of maps have a specific sign for springs safe to drink from, often you may ask the locals. Adding this info on 14ers.com, of course, this would be more work for Bill, who already does so much for us but my general response is, why not to have those information, maybe sometimes. Use them or not.

Postby Jesse M » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:49 pm

On older maps. Newer topos seem to use a light solid blue line for seasonal drainages and a darker solid blue line for perennial. I prefer the symbology on the older maps.

Thank you Scott P, some of my maps are old. :oops:
Good point about water in the desert of Utah, that is a more complex issue than water on the 14ers.

Filter or treat water before you drink it if you are in Colorado! ](*,) I would even take caution when stashing beer or other drinks in streams to keep them cold.

Postby Dex » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Public Service Announcement - Do your own research.

There are over 20 different known heavy metal toxins that can impact human health. Accumulation within the body can lead to a decline in the mental, cognitive, and physical health of the individual.

Blood tests are useful for identifying ongoing chronic exposures. However, blood testing is not a good method for identifying past exposures stored in the body’s tissues.

Hair testing measures the body’s excretion of toxic metals over a long period of time. The length of hair determines what time period is being averaged.

Urine and Stool testing also measures the body’s excretion of toxic metals, but is primarily a measure of recent exposure, usually during the last few days.

Acidic ground water can be indicative of heavy metals in the the water. The normal PH of water is 7 below that is acid. I don't remember what the lowest acceptable number is.

Again, do your own research.

------

Aren't we all glad they took lead out of gasoline in the USA? There was time when we had no choice but to breath it in.

http://www.thenation.com/article/secret-history-lead#
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby DaveSwink » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:07 pm

milan wrote:
ChrisRoberts wrote:
milan wrote:How ever will we find water????

Second, you posted a map. Now tell me, which of your arrows points to a water source you may use safely without treatment? Since I know the area, I know the most of them are muddy ponds, creeks are connecting them.

And moose!!! Some of those ponds are infected with moose! This is crucial water source data.

Postby ChrisRoberts » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:35 pm

milan wrote:Now tell me, which of your arrows points to a water source you may use safely without treatment?

None of them do. Its a pretty standard practice to treat/filter the water you take from unknown sources, which is what 95% of people would do anyways whether they discovered the water source from their topo or from 14ers.com. Yes, heavy metals are a different story and it would be useful to have a list of water bodies that contain them. Not every stream/lake/pond/puddle that contains water in a 10 mile radius of a 14er.
milan wrote:I have hiked in many other mountains around the world and I was always drinking from springs or fast flowing streems, less often from high pristine lakes and never had to treat water or filter it. First I did it in RMNP and people freaked out that I am going to die. Well, I learned that drinking from springs or fast flowing (oxygenated) streams tends to be safe.

If you want to drink untreated water, you need to do the research. Doesnt sound like a very good idea to post a bunch of potential water sources that people think are OK to drink from without treatment
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: Laramie-Poudre Tunnel and UN 10060

Postby TallGrass » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:29 pm

DaveSwink wrote:And moose!!! Some of those ponds are infected with moose! This is crucial water source data.
Guess that scratches Maroon Lake! :lol:
Image <-- and here's some video of "fresh" runoff from a storm that just went through the Bells.
I hear some 14ers are also infected with people! :shock: And some don't keep their cat holes 100' from water sources, much less use a shovel. :wft: :-&
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Previous