Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Water source information for all the 14ers

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Water source information for all the 14ers

Postby 12ersRule » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 pm

Why would anyone drink water on a 14er?

:iluvbeer:

Postby Presto » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:43 pm

by 49ersRule » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 pm
Why would anyone drink water on a 14er?

:iluvbeer:

Indeed!
Attachments
88080.jpg
88080.jpg (147.04 KiB) Viewed 286 times
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM

Postby TallGrass » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Presto wrote:Wow ... reading threads like this (and others that I will not mention in specificity) makes me sit back and wonder how the h*ll I ever got the 14ers done back in 1991.
Sorry, Presto, but your accomplishments have been rendered moot by technology, as will current ones in the works according to the guy who just left in a blue T.A.R.D.I.S. Don't feel too bad though, you and others in turn rendered the accomplishments of those on Hayden's geographical surveys, W. "Holy Cross" Jackson, the Long single-handed feats of John Wesley Powell, and Collegiate wanderings of Josiah Dwight Whitney and crew moot as well (not to mention a few concurrent day hikes by Rijaca when the Incline was still a sapling of a tailing pile). Good job. Hope you're proud of yourself. Now I have to grab a Red Bull and a Sharpie to go edit all those historical markers, you furry witch. Don't worry about me, I've Roach's 286th edition of Colorado's Fourteeners with bonus section for Olympus Mons and a 4th gen BioLite stove that runs on dirt while filtering bovine runoff from old Lanthanide/Actinide mines to see me through. I'll be fine.
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby milan » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Yeah, this site is full of information, just adding info about water sources on 14ers - it's too much, right? There are like five photographs of cruxes on each of the routes with lines in colors how to get over - just don't add water info, it's too much, stay thirsty my friends. That's where the line between a cool mountaineerer and a looser who should never touch a mountain is. This thread is funny. =D> :lol:

Postby SilverLynx » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 pm

milan wrote:Yeah, this site is full of information, just adding info about water sources on 14ers - it's too much, right? There are like five photographs of cruxes on each of the routes with lines in colors how to get over - just don't add water info, it's too much, stay thirsty my friends. That's where the line between a cool mountaineerer and a looser who should never touch a mountain is. This thread is funny. =D> :lol:

=D> =D> =D>
"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
~Nelson Mandela

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition."
~Steve Jobs

Postby screeman57 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:18 pm

SilverLynx wrote:
milan wrote:Yeah, this site is full of information, just adding info about water sources on 14ers - it's too much, right? There are like five photographs of cruxes on each of the routes with lines in colors how to get over - just don't add water info, it's too much, stay thirsty my friends. That's where the line between a cool mountaineerer and a looser who should never touch a mountain is. This thread is funny. =D> :lol:

=D> =D> =D>

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby wildlobo71 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:20 pm

I really wasn't getting why the whole idea of adding another tab full of information - water sources this time...would be a bad thing? It's optional, people... don't use it, or don't contribute to it - go back to dowsing for water if that's your thing but let those who would like to have access to the information have that access.

Yes, for those of you who completed the 14ers 30 years ago, and have climbed for 50 years - you have a distinct advantage in the historic applications of resourcefulness over those who have far, far, less, and have taken to using the internet for access to the information that you had to find for yourselves through long weekends of trial and error in the mountains and back country.

This discussion doesn't even matter if Bill doesn't see the value.
Bill W.
Yes, I have my Scotch.

Postby TravelingMatt » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Drinking from obvious water sources? Too mainstream.

(Get it?)
So pleas'd at first the towering Alps we try,
Mount o'er the vales, and seem to tread the sky,
Th' increasing prospects tire our wand'ring eyes,
Hills peep o'er hills, and Alps on Alps arise!
-- Alexander Pope

Postby TallGrass » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:30 pm

Pair in lower left:
"Yeah, the 14er.com route description water info tab says there's a creek in Min... ne... ha... ha... Gulch that's three-inches from here on the map where, like, we might be able get some water. Hope so because my Gatorade bottle is almost out. You think we should go 'off-route' to the right to gain some 'cool vert' and see if we can spot an alternative water source in case we can't make it that far? I brought my ice axe and glissading pants. This is going to be sooooo epic!"
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby screeman57 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:38 pm

TallGrass wrote: "Yeah, the 14er.com route description water info tab says there's a creek in Min... ne... ha... ha... Gulch that's three-inches from here on the map where, like, we might be able get some water. Hope so because my Gatorade bottle is almost out. You think we should go 'off-route' to the right to gain some 'cool vert' and see if we can spot an alternative water source in case we can't make it that far? I brought my ice axe and glissading pants. This is going to be sooooo epic!"

"...and maybe we'll see Goofy and Minnie Mouse up there!"
"Never measure the height of a mountain until you have reached the top. Then you will see how low it was." -Dag Hammarskjold

Postby Jay521 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:49 pm

TravelingMatt wrote:Drinking from obvious water sources? Too mainstream.

Now THAT'S funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down

Postby ChrisRoberts » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:01 pm

milan wrote:Yeah, this site is full of information, just adding info about water sources on 14ers - it's too much, right? There are like five photographs of cruxes on each of the routes with lines in colors how to get over - just don't add water info, it's too much

How ever will we find water????
Attachments
rsz_14ers.jpg
rsz_14ers.jpg (278.71 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
Read all about my schemes and adventuring at NoCo Chris Latest TR: DeCaLibron

PreviousNext