Water source information for all the 14ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Water source information for all the 14ers

Post by Kiefer »

screeman57 wrote:Gonna have to disagree with the naysayers above--it's a very good suggestion. And as to the "Disney" content--give me a break! Is it "Disney-fying" to suggest wearing a helmet when scrambling, or having links to the weather? Do you guys check the CAIC forecast before going out?

And of course the water quality varies (duh), and it wouldn't be reasonable to post regular or even seasonal updates. BUT-the water quality issues are consistent enough that there's a statewide survey being conducted, generalizing the mineral content of all of the basins. It would be helpful for people to know about areas that are generally high in metals (Matterhorn Creek, for example) so they can plan accordingly.

It goes without saying that everyone should assume biological contaminants--I assume that was not the focus of the OP?
Normally, if you're trying to debunk an argument, what you did is typically the right thing to do...extrapolate with examples of conjecture based off the things you disagree with.
But dude, you HONESTLY think a climbing helmet, CAIC forecasts, weather et al. are "disney-fying" an experience? By your logic then, if someone who ventured into the wilderness
WITHOUT allerting the authorties with a detailed synopsis of when and where they're going to be every 15 minutes would be recklessly dangerous.
That is completely absurd. Are you like, trying to use the 'Chewbaca defense?' :wink:
The OP's suggestion is not absurd (your retort was). It was a decent question to be sure, just not prudent. If you're gonna try and make a point, at least make seem reasonable.
Go & sit down and chill out with a nice, cool glass of refreshing water.

I like Monster's solution. THAT makes sense.
ChrisRoberts wrote:
One time I survived 4 months on nothing but a handful of sunflower seeds and a topo map. Didnt even use the seeds
:lol: :lol: Simply awesome!
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TallGrass »

I'm from Kansas, but there's ranch land in Colorado too, so if there's a water source near a trail that is downstream from the herd, yeah, I'd like to know. :-& Same if there's runoff from a superfund site like in Picher, OK (and Treece, KS, which was only formed when a surveyor told them they were actually on the north side of the Okie line). Many places in the Mark Twain NF recommend you pack your water in as this milder example shows:

"Safety: No drinking water is available at parking areas or along the trail; bring what you will need, or be prepared to sterilize water you find." per Forest Service for the Rock Pile Mountain Wilderness (Missouri)

If some areas in CO have similar warnings from recognized authorities (e.g. state, fed, public works, etc.), I think that would be appropriate to note with source in the route guide. BTW, there's a saying about the uselessness of the Ol' Muddy Mo' (Missouri River): to thick to drink, and to thin to plow. :mrgreen: If you think I'm kidding, look at its confluence (center) with the clearer, bluer Mississippi (right)! (I won't drink from "Mother" Kaw either.)
ChrisRoberts wrote:One time I survived 4 months on nothing but a handful of sunflower seeds and a topo map. Didnt even use the seeds
Topo that tasty?! Or just good fiber? :twisted: :lol:
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Kiefer wrote: Go & sit down and chill out with a nice, cool glass of refreshing water.
Accused of being an over-reactionary by an over-reactionary hothead--whatever, man. Don't know how you twisted around what I wrote about the Disney comment. Maybe you didn't read it clearly. No I don't think proper notification and safety are Disney-like. What the hell gave you that idea?

Paving a trail up Snowmass, with a nice handrail, muppets greeting you and the kids, and free popcorn--that's Disney-like.

And as to the substance of what I wrote? No comment there?

Water quality reports would be helpful if they were appropriately general and understood to be so.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Stephen Butler
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Stephen Butler »

MountainHiker wrote:What might be good would be a few tips for typical backpack routes and some of the longer days. As for all the fourteeners, I don’t think it wise to be drinking off the land on most day hikes when you can bring water of known purity with you.
Good point. Water conditions along the Chicago basin approach, for example, (maybe this is already available?) would be more helpful than water conditions around Bierstadt.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

just from my initial read through of the thread it seems like writing a guide book about this stuff wouldn't make sense because conditions change. so why not just have a Water Conditions tab much like our Peak Conditions tab which forum users can update on a daily basis?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Maps of good campsites would be more useful, IMO. Of course, if you tell the world where the one good campsite is, the world will all plan on camping there....
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I'm also reminded of the water in places like Rock of Ages going up Wilson Peak - yes, on a map there are blue lines showing a stream/creek...but when you actually get there, the sludgy water that was flowing was milky white or reddish laced with sediments from the mines...water that I'd rather not drink. So, even if you know from a map that there is water or someone says its flowing, be careful as it may not be potable.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Obviously we need to cut down on the amount of water we pack so we can balance the weight of our GPS SPOT DSLR iPhone trekking poles beer and of course, our water filter. Why, who would be so foolish to carry 3 whole liters of water? Blasphemy
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by John Landers »

I think this thread is missing the most important reason to know the nearest water source to the high peaks.

I am starting a solo endeavor to be the first person to get a hot tub to summit of each fourteener! \:D/

As I will be the first I am establishing the criteria as:
Will be a minimum of 200 gallons heated to a least 100 degrees, but no more than 104 degrees for safety.
Will stay in the hot tub for a minimum of a half an hour and until a member of the opposite sex joins me in the tub (this person will be unknown to me and must be unique with each new summit).
Will consume at least one liter of wine.
Will leave no trace.

Knowing the nearest water source will help me plan how much work and time is involved to make to each summit to carry out this endeavor.

I am starting tomorrow! Maybe I will see you on a summit. :-D
Jesse M
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jesse M »

I bet you would be better off posting a question to the forum about water on your intended route. I don't find it difficult to find water to filter in Colorado. Most areas that are not good to filter water are well known, the info you are looking for is all on this site, but you might have to dig for it.
milan
14ers: 57  1 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by milan »

I think adding both water sources and reasonable camping sites is a great idea and I was often missing comments on this, taking all water with me which was unnecessary. Camping spots started showing up during this site development and it is kind of sufficient now. It would be nice to learn if the blue line on the map is actually a river or just a small brook that will get dry in the summer and maybe a small comment on the heavy metal content if it is known. This sort of information is part of much less detailed mountain guides than this web site. I am convinced that a lot of people would appreciate it and it may help in emergency cases. And those who don't like it - just don't read it, take your topo and enjoy the adventure.
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

Wow ... reading threads like this (and others that I will not mention in specificity) makes me sit back and wonder how the h*ll I ever got the 14ers done back in 1991. We only had the Borneman and Lampert guidebook ... vague and minimal information. No detailed internet blow-by-blow trip reports. No GPS. No photos with little lines drawn showing the route. It's amazing that I survived at all without getting lost, dying of starvation and dehydration, etc. :wft: :-" O:) :wink: You know, part of the fun and adventure is to find out many of these things yourself. Success and failure. Learning and progressing ... it's all in the development of one's personal evolution and journey in this wonderful world of adventure. Flame away. :-#
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM