Water source information for all the 14ers

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Liquid Shadow
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 68 3 2
Trip Reports (4)

Water source information for all the 14ers

Post by Liquid Shadow »

This is just an idea that I had: wouldn't it be immensely helpful if we compile a list of all the water sources on all the 14ers? Planning on how much water to bring has always been a guessing game for me and I always bring way too much.

I think it would be great if we compile a list of rivers, creeks, lakes and snowfields on all the 14ers, and their locations along the trails. Also their drinkability (such as the metal-laden La Plata Peak).

What do you guys think?
-OwenZ
TallGrass
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Water source information for all the 14ers

Post by TallGrass »

"rivers, creeks, lakes"

Isn't that what map's blue lines and circles indicate? :-k Part of your 10Es?

"snowfields"

Can change yearly, seasonally, usually detectable in the field by looking for white...

"drinkability (such as the metal-laden La Plata Peak)."

I would only note known-bad or known-questionable, kind of like theories can be proven false but never true. Water is only as safe as the last pika that $#!* upstream.

"their locations along the trails."

Also fluctuates. Could lead to a false sense of (water) security. At the Bells the past season, Crater "Lake" was more like a mud hole. If you were banking on it for water...

I use maps to get an idea of possibilities, the observe for telltales: sound (running water), valleys/creases that collect and funnel melt and drainage, line of trees following an otherwise barren contour (trees need more water than grass, bushes), looking uphill for possible contaminants (mines, grazing areas, colorful rock, etc.), what's growing (or isn't) by or in the water, and so on.

Maybe some do's and don'ts, tips, what to look out for and so on could be added to the FAQ or tips page? Caveat bibentis?
"A few hours' mountain climbing make of a rogue and a saint two fairly equal creatures.
Tiredness is the shortest path to equality and fraternity - and sleep finally adds to them liberty."
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

I tend to agree with Tallgrass that many of the water conditions are extremely variable depending on the time of year, the amount of recent precipitation and the previous winter's snow pack.
Tory Wells
14ers: 46 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Tory Wells »

There is already a list, as Tallgrass pointed out: it's called a topo map.

Seriously, do we want all possible variables to be eliminated for us? Aren't the 14ers already easy enough?
"Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, am I." -David Gilmour, Pink Floyd

"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
-Steve Gladbach
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

Gonna have to agree with mongoose and Tallgrass.
This doesn't even come close as being a good idea. Do you have any idea how insanely large of a database
this would entail?
  • Water sources aren't reliable year after year
  • Yearly precipitation isn't reliable
  • Silt & sediment deposition isn't predictable.
  • Overflow from mines (heavy metals) during springmelt isn't predictable
  • Animals dying within a few feet of a water source isn't predictable (eewww :-& )
And like Tory says, I'm sure there's a TON of people out there tired of others trying to make
the wilderness more, "Disney-friendly."
It's bad enough that the wilderness isn't 'wild' anymore. :( --at least in Colorado
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

Forget I said anything then :-&
-OwenZ
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Gonna have to disagree with the naysayers above--it's a very good suggestion. And as to the "Disney" content--give me a break! Is it "Disney-fying" to suggest wearing a helmet when scrambling, or having links to the weather? Do you guys check the CAIC forecast before going out?

And of course the water quality varies (duh), and it wouldn't be reasonable to post regular or even seasonal updates. BUT-the water quality issues are consistent enough that there's a statewide survey being conducted, generalizing the mineral content of all of the basins. It would be helpful for people to know about areas that are generally high in metals (Matterhorn Creek, for example) so they can plan accordingly.

It goes without saying that everyone should assume biological contaminants--I assume that was not the focus of the OP?
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
Liquid Shadow
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Liquid Shadow »

screeman57 wrote:It goes without saying that everyone should assume biological contaminants--I assume that was not the focus of the OP?
You got it. :-D
-OwenZ
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Post by MountainHiker »

What might be good would be a few tips for typical backpack routes and some of the longer days. As for all the fourteeners, I don’t think it wise to be drinking off the land on most day hikes when you can bring water of known purity with you.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
Beto
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Beto »

Great idea. Seems right in line with trailhead road conditions, cell phone coverage areas, avy conditions and hourglass conditions, each of which has a place here. I'll take all the help I can get reducing my pack weight.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 290 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

TallGrass wrote: Isn't that what map's blue lines and circles indicate? :-k Part of your 10Es?
This. More practice with topo maps wouldn't hurt most people here.
MountainHiker wrote:What might be good would be a few tips for typical backpack routes and some of the longer days...
Sounds like a good compromise in the route description notes (tacking on notes 'bout heavy metal or contaminated areas too perhaps). Anything further is a bit silly and uber Disney-ing/hand-holding/coddling/internet-wiping.

And no, I don't think the basic human necessity to locate, evaluate, and drink water can be compared to deciding on a helmet or trailhead conditions.

Not to mention the liability involved in internet-based water evaluations/assessments from Wikipedia.edu experts.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChrisRoberts »

screeman57 wrote: Is it "Disney-fying" to suggest wearing a helmet when scrambling, or having links to the weather? Do you guys check the CAIC forecast before going out?
Helmet? Link? CAIC? What are these things you speak of?

One time I survived 4 months on nothing but a handful of sunflower seeds and a topo map. Didnt even use the seeds
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!