Which 14er do you fear the most?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Stephen Butler
14ers: 18 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Which 14er do you fear the most?

Post by Stephen Butler »

I would have to say Little Bear followed by North Maroon and Capitol.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

"Sunlight Spire"

But I think I fear the train ride more than the climb. I hate that friggin' train!
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

Mt. Hunter. Probably won't ever attempt it.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
Billy the Kid
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Billy the Kid »

I think I am only echoing what others have said over and over on this thread, but of my 9 remaining 14ers, DEFINITELY Little Bear is the one that gives me the most anxiety! That hourglass just looks nasty and unpredictable! From what I have gathered from trip reports and other peoples’ accounts, the ascent isn’t too bad. It’s coming back down that is the tough part. I did the Bells and Pyramid last summer, and for me, they were not near as bad as I thought they were going to be. Other than the lose rock issue, I found there to be very little exposure and I would go back and do them again, anytime! I just can’t wait until Little Bear is behind me!!
"Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So, be on your way."- Dr. Seuss
"I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious."- Michael Scott
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

The Bells and Little Bear. We did Snowmass in April and I felt the worst part was the river crossing. We cramponed up the glacier which was long and tiring, but definitely nothing to fear. Glissading down was a blast, just watch out for crevasses.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screeman57 »

Interesting, the variety of responses. Many of the ones I feared the most before I did them (Pyramid, Snowmass, Crestone Needle) I realized afterwards I had catastrophized. But perhaps my fear generated some necessary vigilance and care--I've heard too many stories of over-confidence leading to carelessness.

Anyway, to answer the question, North Maroon and Little Bear. I've turned around on Little Bear twice--once in the hourglass when I realized my boots were worn-out and slipping, again last weekend on the SW ridge because the day got away from me after bushwacking for 2 1/2 hours to find the ridge.

I suppose, in general, nothing scares me more than loose rock--the seeming randomness of it.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
snowypeaks
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowypeaks »

For me, I don’t know at “fear” is the right word.

There are clearly situations that garner heightened awareness, judgment, skill, and precision going into them. Focused decision-making is key, based on one’s ability, weather, team, and a myriad of other factors. If you handle a situation well and on-average make wise decisions, one would expect perhaps a challenging, but relatively calm and fear-free climb. This is why climbing challenging peaks is so fun.

Fear jumps front and center when something goes unexpectedly south and I have lost control of my situation, even momentarily.… count among them a big bolt of lightning that is too close for comfort, climbing beyond my ability with a poor belay, nasty fall, or something of that sort. For me, fear is usually a sign that I did something wrong somewhere along the way and I need to learn from it.

So, for example, I often fear too many people on a mountain (like Little Bear, Bells, etc.), so I climb when there are fewer folks around and my sense of safety isn’t violated before I even begin climbing.
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

scalba123 wrote:The next one.
This has been my go-to standard answer. I didn't fear any I climbed - I knew I could handle the task before me and I was in control of what I could control. That being said, I have nerves before every climb I go on, no matter how simple or hard. Lastly, I have sweaty mad respect for Little Bear and Mount Wilson; I will probably repeat them both - and I am looking forward to them the least.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

I don't feel "fear" for any of them. Just respect them for each of their unique challenges.
Tornadoman
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I knew when started this thread that 'fear' might not be the correct word. Replace it with 'gets the most respect from me', is 'intimidating', I think I am most likely to get killed trying to climb, etc.

I have never been afraid while actually climbing any of the 14ers due to the route being too difficult. However, I was afraid on Antero when I was caught in a snow thunderstorm above treeline!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
Tornadoman
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

SilverLynx wrote:Little Bear by far, but also The Bells and Snowmass... Not only for their appearances but their histories of taking the lives of experienced climbers.
I think we are in agreement. My order would be Little Bear, Snowmass, then probably the Bells.
Tornadoman
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Rcizzle wrote:I think you have to separate this into multiple categories. On first glance I would say Little Bear (hourglass) and El Diente primarily because of loose rock. However, I have had unpleasant experiences on Mt. Massive and Mt. Columbia with unforecasted inclement weather that I don't want to repeat. This also applies to snow climbs were I was quite bothered by avy danger. Then there is always the the long round trip mileage fear and the human factors such as broken ankles such that go along with that.
Did you climb El Diente from the Kilpacker/South Slopes route? I didn't think it was too bad, but that north side looks sketchy.