Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Summer Trip

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: Summer Trip

Postby TallGrass » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Ah, the Acclimatization Wager thing again. :roll: You NEVER know how it will affect you until you do it, that is, you can NOT apply statistics (population) to your case (individual), and mull what Dr. Peter Hackett (Institute For Altitude Medicine founder) opines on AMS.

Consider the risk/reward of each method.

Actual Susceptibility --> Will be affected -- Won't be affected
Acclimatize for days: helps avoid sickness -- waste of hiking days (vacation time)
Hike a 14er w/o delay: turn back pre-summit -- successful summit

The results for "acclimatizing" are avoiding a negative (non-negative, not the same as positive, zero is non-negative) or negative, and interference to point/goal of the trip.
The results for "hike w/o delay" are a various (from negative if you continue to ascend despite early signs, to positive in getting some hiking in before turning around at first signs) to positive, and also achieving the point/goal of the trip.

Wager the only one that yields a positive option and hike on your first day in Colorado. Go hike but pay attention to your body, and if need be, turn around and descend. Up to you how long you want to "acclimatize" (hike next day, one break day, two break days, ...) if that's what your body (not someone else's body) tells you.

Besides, you've already been up ten 14ers already! \:D/
Not sure if I'll do more 14ers. The trip reports are too tiring. :wink:

Postby Stephen Butler » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:53 pm

TallGrass wrote:Ah, the Acclimatization Wager thing again. :roll: You NEVER know how it will affect you until you do it, that is, you can NOT apply statistics (population) to your case (individual), and mull what Dr. Peter Hackett (Institute For Altitude Medicine founder) opines on AMS.

Consider the risk/reward of each method.

Actual Susceptibility --> Will be affected -- Won't be affected
Acclimatize for days: helps avoid sickness -- waste of hiking days (vacation time)
Hike a 14er w/o delay: turn back pre-summit -- successful summit

The results for "acclimatizing" are avoiding a negative (non-negative, not the same as positive, zero is non-negative) or negative, and interference to point/goal of the trip.
The results for "hike w/o delay" are a various (from negative if you continue to ascend despite early signs, to positive in getting some hiking in before turning around at first signs) to positive, and also achieving the point/goal of the trip.

Wager the only one that yields a positive option and hike on your first day in Colorado. Go hike but pay attention to your body, and if need be, turn around and descend. Up to you how long you want to "acclimatize" (hike next day, one break day, two break days, ...) if that's what your body (not someone else's body) tells you.

Besides, you've already been up ten 14ers already! \:D/

I tend to agree with you. I have hiked 14ers the day after coming from the flatlands three times and haven't had a problem with altitude sickness. That doesn't mean it won't happen next time, but hopefully my luck continues.

Postby BOCO9 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 am

Crestone Needle and Peak are amazing as is the camping. Humbolt Peak is also there if you wanted to bag three. You could hit these two on you into CO or on your way out.

Good Luck!

Postby Stephen Butler » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:22 am

Thank you to everyone that has responded to my trip this summer. From all of the responses my plans are the following:

Day 1: Handies from Grizzly/Silver; Climb Handies and descend to American Basin to see the views and follow the road back to the original TH.
Day 2: Redcloud and Sunshine with the option of doing 13er Sundog.
Day 3: Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn. Long day but if we start around 3 am and hope for good weather we may be able to do it.
Day 4: Rest day
Day 5: San Luis
Day 6: Shavano and Tabeguache
Day 7: If we feel up to it we will do Pikes (I have family nearby, so don't have to do this)

Any thoughts?

Previous