Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sneffels on May 4th

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Sneffels on May 4th

Postby apasquel » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:02 pm

This time of year, which route do you prefer and why:

1) Yankee Boy Basin (standard)
2) SW ridge from Yankee Boy
3) SW ridge from Blue Lakes

Re: Sneffels on May 4th

Postby apasquel » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 am

Looking at the conditions right now, and what is forecasted in the weeks to come...which trailhead do you believe I can get closer to with a Prius. The Blaine Basin TH or Yankee Boy Basin TH?

Postby nyker » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:02 pm

Given we are more than 5 weeks out, hard to say what conditions will look like since a lot of snow could fall in April; but it could also warm and melt out if it stays dry.

Postby mtn_nut » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:16 pm

The road will definitely be plowed up to the junction of Yankee boy basin and governors basin roads, and the gate will be open as of may 1st. I'm not sure if you feel like driving a Prius up that road. I know people with 2WD cars have made it, but a Prius has very little clearance.

Sneffels conditions? Avy Conditions?

Postby apasquel » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:26 am

How are things looking? Looks like there will be a little bit of snow to come in the few days and then a long warm up...is Yankee Boy Basin Rd melting off? Any beta would be great! If you were going to go climb Sneffels in the next week...would you go up the standard approach or one of the Northface routes? And is there a reason why no one seems to climb from the blue lakes approach...is is too steep from the West?

Postby DaveLanders » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:44 am

apasquel wrote:How are things looking? Looks like there will be a little bit of snow to come in the few days and then a long warm up...is Yankee Boy Basin Rd melting off? Any beta would be great! If you were going to go climb Sneffels in the next week...would you go up the standard approach or one of the Northface routes? And is there a reason why no one seems to climb from the blue lakes approach...is is too steep from the West?

You normally can't drive to the Blue Lakes TH this time of year, so the approach would be really long.
If you can't drive to at least the NF boundary, there might be issues with parking also.

Postby epacalicious » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:40 pm

Hey apasquel,

Not sure of the size of your group, but I'd be interested in joining if you have the room. To sweeten the pot, I can drive my 4WD Blazer in so your prius wont take the beating.

Let me know if you're interested and we can synchronize watches.
Mountains are the means, the man is the end. The goal is not to reach the tops of mountains, but to improve the man ~ Walter Bonatti

Postby apasquel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:19 pm

epacalicious wrote:Hey apasquel,

Not sure of the size of your group, but I'd be interested in joining if you have the room. To sweeten the pot, I can drive my 4WD Blazer in so your prius wont take the beating.

Let me know if you're interested and we can synchronize watches.

Hi there epacalicious...snet you a pm, hope it found you. If not, let's talk...