Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Where is Yale's snow?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Where is Yale's snow?

Postby Dex » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Today I took a drive to Yale's Denny Creek TH. There is about 2" of snow visiable from the parking lot on the trail. A high of 46 today and 52 tomorrow in BV should melt a lot.

I don't think there will be any miricles happening this year.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Re: Where is Yale's snow?

Postby RockyMountainMustang » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:09 pm

So the trail is pretty clear? Have a guess for avy conditions on the standard?
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller

Postby Dex » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:18 am

RockyMountainMustang wrote:So the trail is pretty clear? Have a guess for avy conditions on the standard?

I took a hike to the climber's ridge - after the 2nd log crossing - on the standard route. There was snow. It looks like May conditions - cold early morning enough to walk on the snow but you need snow shoes later as it warms up. Then again the area before the 2nd log crossing was not very deep.

On the climber's ridge the snow was in the 3.5' area and I'm guessing deeper under the trees. Someone was in the area and they did make a trench but they appear to have gone off the standard route some.

Up to where I went there weren't any avy issues - but there usually aren't. More snow is expected this weekend.
Montani Semper Liberi
"Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous." Barry Ritholtz

Postby dillonsarnelli » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:34 am

this was sunday... east ridge route - my legs still hurt...

OBVIOUSLY DOING IT WRONG.jpg
OBVIOUSLY DOING IT WRONG.jpg (222.21 KiB) Viewed 330 times