Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Fourteeners in April

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Fourteeners in April

Postby saintelias » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:27 pm

Can anybody anwer this question ( I realize it all depends on how much more snow we get): As a general rule are there any 14ers in the San Juans, Sawatch or Cretones that you can get to the standard trailhead by vehicle and climb without the use of skis, snowshoes or major postholing in the month of April?

Thanks

Re: Fourteeners in April

Postby metalmountain » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:53 pm

I am going with...most likely not.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby MonGoose » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:54 pm

saintelias wrote:I realize it all depends on how much more snow we get

Excatly - Go buy some snowshoes.

Concerning trailheads, La Plata and Mt Yale are two trailheads that come to mind which you can drive in the winter. But for the most part, you can expect to tack on a few extra miles for any given peak in winter / spring.

Postby kansas » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:56 pm

You will be able to access some trailheads, but being out in April with no floatation is a good way to be balls deep in snow all day.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say none.

Quandary in April pictured below.
Attachments
April.jpg
April.jpg (25.78 KiB) Viewed 516 times
"In the end, of course, it changed almost nothing. But I came to appreciate that mountains make poor receptacles for dreams."
— Jon Krakauer

Postby IkeB » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:16 pm

As stated you will want floatation. If you don't want to buy snowshoes, rei rents them I believe.

Postby Jim Davies » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Try Bison Peak from Ute Creek TH. It will probably be melted up to timberline or so.

What, it's not a 14er? It should be.
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of widths. -- Steven Wright

Postby jdorje » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:19 pm

Reply hazy, try again
-Jason Dorje Short

Postby forbins_mtn » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:24 pm

every once in a while i get in some weird mood where i scour craigslist for gear, and let me tell ya: there are a ton of snowshoes on there right now.