Colorado Springs Area Hiking--2 weeks

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
johnF
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Colorado Springs Area Hiking--2 weeks

Post by johnF »

KentonB wrote:Actually, the back (West) side of Pikes Peak often has enough snow for some good snowshoeing. I'm not sure most of the standard trails would require an Ice Axe, but I'm sure there are areas up there you could practice using one.

That said, I have not been "over the mountain" yet this year... Other's may be able to report on conditions.

Generally though, the Crags, Horsethief Park, and the west end of Gold Camp Road have a number of great hiking options with plenty of snow.
The back side of Pikes has lots of fresh snow. It had been quite dry up through January, but saw some snow earlier this month, and then probably a foot and a half or more just in the past week (mostly Sun. and Tue.).
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

OK; prepare yuorselves for a series of DUMB questions;or at least just one--how do I get to the back of Pike's Peak ina rental car this coming weekend?

Again, not looking to bag anything, just for a good place to putter around and try out new snow shoes and other cold weather gear...

Many thanks!
johnF
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by johnF »

steelfrog wrote:OK; prepare yuorselves for a series of DUMB questions;or at least just one--how do I get to the back of Pike's Peak ina rental car this coming weekend?

Again, not looking to bag anything, just for a good place to putter around and try out new snow shoes and other cold weather gear...

Many thanks!
Not dumb at all. I'm guessing the rental car isn't high clearance or 4WD?

The Crags Trailhead that gives access to the peak may be inaccessible -- someone else probably has more recent info on the condition of that dirt road than I do. But one option is to drive up that road as far as you're comfortable, then just park off the side of the road and start snowshoeing up it.

Another option is to keep driving down Highway 67 S toward Cripple Creek, past the turn-off to the Crags. Measure 9 miles from the light in Divide, and just after a left curve in the road, you'll see an open parking area on the left with a gated off entrance to an old tunnel. That's the trail head to Pancake Rocks and Horsethief Falls (search this site or Google for either). It's a nice area for snowshoeing, and you'll have no problem getting there since it's plowed highways right to the trailhead. You can also find you're way from that trailhead to the top of the peak (ask if you want more details), but it requires going off trail and may be avalanche-prone right now.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Try Horsethief Park.
That site ("Happy Trails") has descriptions and trailhead directions for lots of other hikes in the area. Mueller State Park is across the highway from the Crags turnoff and is a favorite for snowshoers (but has a day-use fee).
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
steelfrog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by steelfrog »

Ok. One more question: would we be better off taking a slight detour to one of my favorite areas over there by Westcliffe and the eastern Sangres? Roads open?
mattpayne11
14ers: 58 
13ers: 111
Trip Reports (48)

Post by mattpayne11 »

Just throwing my 2 cents in here - there's going to be some snow to contend with this weekend, so not sure how good the roads will be. If I had my choice though, I'd head for the Sangres for sure, but be sure to check avy conditions too. The Sangres are the best, and not really all that far from here if you leave early.
MuchosPixels
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MuchosPixels »

I have been to C Springs twice and really enjoyed the Barr Trail past the sometimes crowded lower section (incline users use it to head down). Its one of the best trails around. I used Barr Camp as a base and from there headed to the summit but there are other options. I went in March 2011 (last week into april 1st) and there was snow above Barr Camp but almost none below. I just used microspikes above camp at all times. From there there are several trail options, its not only about the summit of Pikes. The above treeline terrain is amazing and there are some awesome views.

For a much more isolated and wilderness experience the Sangres are an unreal place but require much more detailed planning.