14ers seen from Mt. Crested Butte

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
keith_stone
14ers: 11  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

14ers seen from Mt. Crested Butte

Post by keith_stone »

Anybody out there know what 14ers you can see from Mt. Crested Butte while skiing? Im heading out there in a few days and I would love to be able to spot some peaks while shredding some gnar. Thanks!

+ if you got one of those pictures with the peaks noted on it.
Michael J
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Re: 14ers seen from Mt. Crested Butte

Post by Michael J »

I've never skied Crested Butte, but my guess is that you would be able to see most of the Elk Mountain Range and I think Castle peak would be the most visible. The view that you would have though would not look like the "standard" views as you would be looking from the southwest side. Ask the locals while you're there, specifically ski patrol. I think to find Castle you would have to look across Teocalli.

"I've often heard a voice call down to me
If you'd climb higher you'd find wondrous things to see..."
dsunwall
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 399
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dsunwall »

On this site, go to "14ers", 14ers on google maps, then select Terrain, find crested butte mt., zoom near its summit, click on the Earth button, play around with the tilt, you will get some idea what peaks are in view.
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

The website http://www.heywhatsthat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is your friend! This is my go-to place for summits viewable from any point.
alsrun
14ers: 50 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by alsrun »

Snowmass and Castle are the most prominent from mid-mountain and up to the top of the High Lift(about 11,700') . If you were standing on CB's peak you would see Conundrum, Capitol and Pyramid. The High Lift opened yesterday and the skiing was great in Teo Bowl and Head WAll areas. Have fun and be safe.
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

geojed wrote:The website http://www.heywhatsthat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is your friend! This is my go-to place for summits viewable from any point.
Who knew Crested Butte wasonly 793' tall and you could see Rockland Harborfrom the top?!
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
geojed
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138 13
Trip Reports (29)

Post by geojed »

:roll: :roll:
Please engage your brain prior to clicking on the link and then once on the website click on the "New Panorama" tab and follow the instructions found there. If the instructions are too complicated ask an adult for help. :-"
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

geojed wrote::roll: :roll:
Please engage your brain prior to clicking on the link and then once on the website click on the "New Panorama" tab and follow the instructions found there. If the instructions are too complicated ask an adult for help. :-"
Feeling a little sensitive this morning are we? Maybe you should lay off the Luna Bars.
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson
Somewhat of a Prick
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 84
Trip Reports (17)

Post by Somewhat of a Prick »

geojed wrote::roll: :roll:

You TOLD him!!!!!!!!!! We got a badass here!
ChicagoMike
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ChicagoMike »

geojed wrote:The website http://www.heywhatsthat.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is your friend! This is my go-to place for summits viewable from any point.
Cool site. This will be fun to play with at work on Monday
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

I ran into a guy on the summit of Mt Sopris last summer that had an app on his smart phone which
identified peaks that were visible from the summit. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the app.
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
Muskie5280
14ers: 31 
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Muskie5280 »

Just got back from CB and often wonder the same thing.

There is a map on the wall in Izzys in town that has all the peaks mapped out. I was surprised at some of them.

You can see North Maroon Peak (just to the looker's right of Gothic), Castle/Conundrum (looker's left of Teocali, http://14ers.com/photos/peakphoto.php?p ... 82&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), and the surprise one was La Plata way way off in the distance to the east.

Capitol and Pyramid also made appearances I believe, but I'm not 100% sure. No Snowmass though, was very surprised to find that out.