Sawtooth vs Kelso

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ChrisRoberts
14ers: 12 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sawtooth vs Kelso

Post by ChrisRoberts »

Jay521 wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:Once on the summit, college girls in running shorts will fawn over you.
Kelso Ridge wins.
'nuff said!'
You have to be shirtless, correct?
Some rise, some fall, some climb to get to terrapin
NoCoChris: Now with less Colorado!
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

sawtooth was my first class 3...i found it to be scary, but the climbing itself was extremely easy. the exposure on the exit ramp was a little unnerving to me but it was just walking really. id call the sawtooth class 2+ w exposure. I did kelso for my next one, and thought it was harder...i think we may have gotten off route a little bit which upped the difficulty. the knife edge on kelso is not scary...its very short and over before you know it. kelso is a really, really fun route and i cant wait to try it again.

both routes are really cool in my opinion
Vincit Qui Patitur
RoanMtnMan
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (19)

Post by RoanMtnMan »

More importantly than difficulty, because that can be argued all day long, Kelso is a much more enjoyable pure class 2-3 climb. Airy, sustained, decent rock, and very straight forward. Usually not crowded either. It's one of my favorite routes close to home. Put a little snow on there and it gets sporty. I've gone back to it over and over. No real desire to do the Sawtooth again.
Always follow the 7 P's. Proper Planning & Preparation, Prevents Piss-Poor Performance.

"An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” --Marco Polo

http://www.CalebWrayPhotography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YooperJonKornely
14ers: 36  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by YooperJonKornely »

I really appreciate the replies! Even some pictures, that is awesome! I'm excited for both of these hikes, and this helps give me some stuff to think about.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Yooper: I really appreciate the replies! Even some pictures, that is awesome! I'm excited!

My friend, if you are excited simply by replies, you have not yet entered nirvana.
Behold that which awaits you:

http://www.14ers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=38975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

Pretty much this. I'd call the actual scrambling on the Sawtooth somewhat easier, but I did not like that sloping scree traverse at the end of the tough section one bit! Kelso is mostly devoid of that sort of crap, and involves exhilarating scrambling on more solid rock (and it becomes even more exhilarating when it has a dusting of snow :shock: ). On both routes, the class 3 is pretty solid where it needs to be, and I'd describe the exposure as moderate with some breaks on both routes.

Having done both routes once, I can say that the Sawtooth was a factor in Evans being my least favorite 14er, and that Torreys moved up the list considerably in terms of both fun factor and respect once I'd done Kelso Ridge. I'd go back for the latter anytime...
SurfNTurf wrote:Sawtooth is barely Class 3, but perhaps more unnerving on the exposed scree ledges. Far less aesthetic of a line. You might run into people trying to pretend they're search and rescue (but for dogs) with no regard for that pesky "months of intense training" thing.

Kelso Ridge is a flat-out classic. Sustained Class 3 with a few Class 2 areas for mental breaks. The Knife Edge is short and not as exposed as its name would suggest. Once on the summit, college girls in running shorts will fawn over you.

Kelso Ridge wins.

EDIT: to answer the OP's question more directly, Kelso Ridge was my first Class 3 and somewhere around my fifth 14er. I had no issue, even though it was my first taste of exposure. At the time I was still afraid of single-pitch sport routes, so it's not like I had balls of steel. It was a blast. I did the Sawtooth much later in my 14er journey, but if I'd done it earlier I think the scree ledges would have given me pause. Kelso Ridge, in my opinion, is more fun and less scary.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

SurfNTurf wrote:EDIT: to answer the OP's question more directly, Kelso Ridge was my first Class 3 and somewhere around my fifth 14er. I had no issue, even though it was my first taste of exposure. At the time I was still afraid of single-pitch sport routes, so it's not like I had balls of steel...
All Yoopers are born with balls of steel so I think you've got the green light on both routes JonK.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

I loved Kelso. I solo'd it and it was enough to keep my attention but not enough to freak me out. However, I've been climbing (rock and ice) for about 7 years otherwise, so I'm biased. Incidentally, I crossed the knife edge in my crampons because I thought I already crossed the knife edge earlier.

Check out my video and make up your own mind! http://youtu.be/EvuLYJk6psk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
YooperJonKornely
14ers: 36  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by YooperJonKornely »

DeTour wrote:
SurfNTurf wrote:EDIT: to answer the OP's question more directly, Kelso Ridge was my first Class 3 and somewhere around my fifth 14er. I had no issue, even though it was my first taste of exposure. At the time I was still afraid of single-pitch sport routes, so it's not like I had balls of steel...
All Yoopers are born with balls of steel so I think you've got the green light on both routes JonK.
Oh hey der, you betcha ;)