Humboldt Peak Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
B-Dog
14ers: 44  8 
13ers: 18 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Humboldt Peak Conditions

Post by B-Dog »

I was up there today with Dan and Mark. Sorry I couldn't make yesterdays trip, I had prior plans. Thanks for posting the info; it saved us from hauling up a few lbs of unnecessary stuff.

One more snowflake checkmark! Chyeaa

Brandon
snowymountainsrock
14ers: 1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowymountainsrock »

Thank you for all of your input. It has been very helpful.
One more question. How long did the hike take?
Thanks
B-Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by B-Dog »

I was probably the slow one in my group of 3 and it took us about 9 hours.
snowymountainsrock
Trip Reports (0)

B-Dog wrote:I was probably the slow one in my group of 3 and it took us about 9 hours.
What time did you start or would recomend starting?
B-Dog
Trip Reports (0)

Post by B-Dog »

We started at 5:45. It was almost a full moon so walking up the road in the dark was a piece of cake. At a minimum, I would suggest being back down to tree line before dark which really shouldn't be a issue. Finding the non-existent trail back into the trees would be tricky in the dark. If it has snowed enough to cover the tracks or making finding the packed down trail difficult, you should probably shoot for being back to the summer trailhead before dark.

If you have a beastly 4wd and/or chains, you can probably make it up the road and save yourself 2+ miles.
snowymountainsrock
Trip Reports (0)

Alright.
Thanks
coclimbguy79
14ers: 44  3 
13ers: 39
Trip Reports (0)

Post by coclimbguy79 »

Looks to be good weather again this weekend. I'd very much like to climb Humboldt as a day trip from the Denver area this weekend. Prefer Saturday, but would do sunday.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

I plan to try for Humboldt this coming Sunday, the weather forecast looks really good. Another fellow may go but he hasn't confirmed; if he can't go I'm fine going alone but if you're interested coclimbguy79 (or others) let me know. I plan to hotel it in Westcliffe Saturday night, pre-dawn start Sunday; steady pace, not a speedster. Let me know, thanks.
-Tom