Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Sherman Saturday - conditions

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Sherman Saturday - conditions

Postby Ress_PA » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:07 pm

I am looking into doing a Sherman hike this weekend and am wondering if anyone has been out that way since the recent snow who can vouch for conditions along the trail. I haven't been out that way since a Quandary hike on 26 October and was wondering if microspikes, gaiters and poles would do or are we looking at something more? Please let me know if you have any info on the conditions or if you'll be on the trail this weekend. ~ happy holidays!!

Re: Sherman Saturday - conditions

Postby mtree » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:31 am

I'm not too concerned about climbing conditions. Snow, ice, whatever. But, what about the road to the gate? How far can it be reached before you gotta worry about the point of no return? I'm thinking 12/23 climb.
"Cool Prius!" - nobody

Postby ThuChad » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:18 am

I look forward to hearing the conditions also if either of you make it out there.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby TomPierce » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm going up there Sunday with a buddy, just a fitness hike vs. a boring jog in my neighborhood. Weather looks OK; not great but not awful.
-Tom

Postby Ress_PA » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:12 pm

I did end up hiking Sherman today (Saturday.) The road was clear up to Leavick, after that there were areas of decent snow. A parking area was cleared out there, but it adds an extra mile or two each way compared to the higher parking areas. Trails weren't bad at all, it seemed like in most areas the snow was wind packed pretty hard or blown away entirely. The wind up on the ridge was kicking pretty hard though, have a safe trip if you guys end up heading up there.