LONGS PEAK

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: LONGS PEAK

Post by peter303 »

I can still SEE streaks of snow in the troughs on the south side of Meeker-Longs from the Front Range So some snow-backup protection like spikes is advisable.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

Carl wrote:Anyone got any recent shots of the trail between the Keyhole and the top...
Nothing up close but from far...the Narrows, Homestretch, top of Keplingers, backside of Palisades, and Loft. Pic taken on Sunday afternoon, November 25.

Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

Thanks for the beta. With NOAA forecasting 45+ sustained wind and 90mph gusts we changed plans last minute. Probably didn't get that crazy, but the somewhat nearby weather data I just glanced at showed 30 to 40mph sustained and up to 59mph gusts this morning at 11,200ft. Enough to make it quite unpleasant. Kiefer, lets catch up soon.
Alan Arnette
14ers: 58 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Alan Arnette »

Took this shot yesterday, December 3 2012, from Meadow Mountain south of Longs and Meeker. Amazed at the lack of snow for early December.
IMG_1800-001.JPG
IMG_1800-001.JPG (283.88 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
crestone14ers
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by crestone14ers »

The lack of snow pack reminds me of the winter of 1976-77. Bone dry throughout the state and especially in the Sangres and RMNP.

Climbed a ton of winter routes on rock. Just like one would do in the summer except the days are shorter and the rock is much colder. :wink:

The Crestones and peaks in RMNP are a natural for one with good rock climbing skills in this type of weather scenario.
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

Does anyone have any current conditions, please, of Longs Peak trail up to Granite Pass? Floatation needed in trees? It sounds like Ice Axe is recommended?

Thank you.
jnorris
14ers: 17  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jnorris »

Mindy,

My wife and I were up on Sunday. We made it just a little ways past the treeline with no floatation. It had snowed on us for about 2 hours. Probably 6-8" total of new snow in the trees for the weekend. We turned around there because we decided that with our late start we weren't going to make it to Chasm Lake before dark. Being up there before in deeper snow conditions I don't remember needing an ice axe up to granite pass. Maybe somebody else will chime in to say otherwise and have better info past our stopping point.
The most dangerous moment comes with victory
Mindy
14ers: 14 
13ers: 25 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Mindy »

Thanks jnorris. :)