Is this weekend a wash?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
smoove
14ers: 44  11 
13ers: 34 3
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Is this weekend a wash?

Post by smoove »

It may be worth mentioning that there's a real possibility of getting AMS just driving straight out from Illinois and heading immediately up a 14er without taking any days to acclimatize. Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't happen. Perhaps another reason to do something much lower and tamer on Saturday. But you may already be on your way back home . . . .
metalmountain
14ers: 42  1  2 
13ers: 26
Trip Reports (1)

Post by metalmountain »

FireOnTheMountain wrote:FIRST REAL STORM OF THE YEAR!!!!

SNOW!

On a side note I would worry more about freezing your butt off than AMS this weekend coming up from Illinois. This isn't the Himalayas, if you feel sick turn around.
"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem
J-RockandRockpile
Trip Reports (0)

Post by J-RockandRockpile »

Nelson wrote:Time to tone down the testosterone guys.

Climbing in a storm is riskier with a higher chance of getting off route. That is just a fact.

It is also just not fun. This weekend is a perfect example of a day where you don't need to be in the mountains. If you learn to pass up days with a forecast like this one you will have a long, enjoyable career in the mountains.

I think when we give advice to people on this forum we should keep in mind to whom we are giving it and the potential consequences of someone following our advice. In general, I don't think we should be suggesting to people we don't know they should climb Holy Cross in a storm.
While I truly agree with your statement here I am going to add that maybe some people need not to ask for others advice on every little subject and do their own research and decision making. If someone without a lot of experience has to ask whether it is a good idea or not to climb Holy Cross in a storm - well that is just mildly perplexing in my mind, its a pretty straight forward answer that needs little consideration.
I have been to the top of the mountain, and it is good
smoove
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

metalmountain wrote:On a side note I would worry more about freezing your butt off than AMS this weekend coming up from Illinois. This isn't the Himalayas, if you feel sick turn around.
Well I doubt he'd be in mortal danger if he got AMS here. Like you said, if he gets sick (which could very well be AMS), he can just turn around. AMS on top of climbing in the middle of a storm sounds like bad news, of course. ;)

But the incidence of AMS, say on Rainier, is actually much higher than on Denali (or than in the Himalayas, I've heard) because people are able to ascend so much more quickly from sea level (or other much lower elevation). http://www.healthline.com/health-blogs/ ... s-and-hace
Last edited by smoove on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
theguydog14
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 3 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by theguydog14 »

Sunday looks perfect for Mount Lindsey. Thats where you'll find me unless Great American Beer Festival traps me in Denver where "beer flows like wine. Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano. I'm talking about a little place called Denver." - Lloyd
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Sunday weather sounds decent.

I wouldnt be surprised if the southern and central passes like Independence and Cottonwood close for the season today Friday.
Brian Thomas
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 130
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Brian Thomas »

smoove wrote:you could do some lower peak near Denver
Sacrilege! This is 14ers dot com. Take that heresy to Lists Of John!
"I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them" - Bob Dylan
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Neil wrote:Climb in the snow. Seriously. What's wrong with that?
Agreed. I am planning on Silverheels tomorrow. Will deal with a little snow in the morning and probably windy conditions but the snow isn't really that deep at this point (except maybe in drifts) and the point forecasts are only calling for something less than 5" out of this storm. You shouldn't need snowshoes but spikes might help for icy spots and you will most likely have whatever mountain you choose mostly to yourself. :)

Having said all of that, Windy and Cold is not MOST peoples idea of fun, 14ers.com community not withstanding. I wouldn't personally drive from Illinois unless I had a better weather window.
Last edited by randalmartin on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
plantmandan
14ers: 9 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by plantmandan »

Thank you for reminding me how fortunate I am to live in Colorado. Drive safe.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

Planning on a 13er near Denver on Sunday. Should be a beautiful day with a fresh coat of snow.

Unless you just have to get a climb in this weekend, I wouldn't recommend driving from Illinois though due to the Saturday forecast.
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Lemmiwinks wrote:Planning on a 13er near Denver on Sunday. Should be a beautiful day with a fresh coat of snow.

Unless you just have to get a climb in this weekend, I wouldn't recommend driving from Illinois though due to the Saturday forecast.
What 13er?
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
smoove
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smoove »

Brian Thomas wrote:
smoove wrote:you could do some lower peak near Denver
Sacrilege! This is 14ers dot com. Take that heresy to Lists Of John!
My humblest apologies.