Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Mt. Sherman Conditions

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Mt. Sherman Conditions

Postby Scottmiao » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Does anyone know if there is snow/ice on the Mt. Sherman Standard Route (SouthWest Ridge from Fourmile creek) ? Planning on doing it this coming Sunday (Oct. 14th).

Re: Mt. Sherman Conditions

Postby Scottmiao » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:52 pm

That is too bad. hope it will still be manageable by Sunday.

Postby Doug Shaw » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:46 am

Unless some truly monstrous storm blows in for the next few days, even if there is snow it's almost certainly going to be windblown and easily manageable. I suspect it would generally take some extraordinary conditions for you to need anything more than boots (and maybe traction aids) to climb Sherman this early in the year.

Postby Jim Davies » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:43 am

Gratz is saying that higher elevations could get 5-10" of snow by Saturday afternoon.
http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado
\:D/
Some people are afraid of heights. Not me, I'm afraid of white blood cells.

Postby Scottmiao » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:35 pm

"http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado". This is a really good web site to know the snow condition. It sounds like from today's report it has less snow than predicated. I guess is the good sign. I am going to continue monitor the snow condition and make a deiciosn tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Postby SKIBREC » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:19 pm

in breck its 50 deg and light rain ...about a hr ago on loveland pass it was p/c and 39 deg and on hoosier pass about 20 mins ago it was 37 deg and drizzle ...light dusting of snow on the ground....snow seems to be around 12,000 ft level....
Mike & Gail

There's no such thing as bad weather... just the wrong gear

Postby B[3] » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:33 pm

Sherman's standard route looked like it was clear of snow this morning (photo taken from Mt. Sheridan). The snow started around 11 this morning--initially, it was very light and then got alot heavier around 11:30 am. The snow was falling rapidly and sticking on my descent from Horseshoe. I was very happy to have microspikes! I can't comment as to how Mt. Sherman looked after the snow started falling, as it was obscured by clouds.
Attachments
sherman 10-12.jpg
sherman 10-12.jpg (93.97 KiB) Viewed 806 times
Learn from the mistakes of others--you can never live long enough to make them all yourself.--Unknown
Don't chase your dreams, catch them.--Unknown

Postby Holmoose » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Was up Sherman this morning. Snow, ice, wind & cold. We were the first to summit today but there was a solo guy and one group of three behind us. The clouds cleared out after we left.

Postby skearns2 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Anybody have an idea on the conditions of Elbert, Antero, Tabequache, and Sherman? I just want to do the standard routes. Will I need an ice axe or crampons yet?

Postby spiderman » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:19 am

We climbed Hahvahd on Saturday, despite the massive outpouring of trepidation expressed on this forum. There was about 4-6 inches of fresh snow above 12,000', with drifts up to a foot deep in some spots. Some of the lower sections had melted and refrozen into patches of ice. We bare-booted the whole climb, but other climbers reported benefits from wearing microspikes.

I would bring microspikes just in case there are regions of ice; otherwise should be fun. Allow for significantly longer ascent time than you would be accustomed to in the summer.