Sneffels' SW ridge route with snow?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountain hiker
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Sneffels' SW ridge route with snow?

Post by mountain hiker »

I am planning to do the SW ridge route from Blue Lakes TH this weekend. My concern is the several inches of snow that has fallen on the mountain. Is there anyone who has done the SW ridge route with autumn snow on it? How's it like? Will the snow increase the exposure and difficulty significantly? And any traction device needed?
Any information is appreciated!
fahixson
14ers: 57 
13ers: 31
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Sneffels' SW ridge route with snow?

Post by fahixson »

Driving Alpine Loop on Monday last week, we ran into light snow falling above 11,000 ft or so. Hiked SW Ridge route the following afternoon with no snow on the route, but could see some down the north side of the mountain. I don't know how much snow has fallen recently, but is it possible it could melt before your climb?
I recall some Sept/Oct TRs from previous years that talked about avoiding snow or dealing with it. I know we would not have been comfortable with snow/ice on the final pitch to the summit. Good luck, we had a great time.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

fahixson wrote:Driving Alpine Loop on Monday last week, we ran into light snow falling above 11,000 ft or so. Hiked SW Ridge route the following afternoon with no snow on the route, but could see some down the north side of the mountain. I don't know how much snow has fallen recently, but is it possible it could melt before your climb?
I recall some Sept/Oct TRs from previous years that talked about avoiding snow or dealing with it. I know we would not have been comfortable with snow/ice on the final pitch to the summit. Good luck, we had a great time.
The final pitch shouldn't hold much snow or ice if you stay high on the ridge - it should be dry and solid, the trade-off (as usual) is increased exposure. Have fun and stay safe!
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
mountain hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain hiker »

Thanks for your replies!
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Hey I just got home from doing that route. Pucker factor WAY up today, but should ease up over the next couple days with the forecast although flurries were flying when I left this afternoon. I will post some pictures in a little while.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Progressives are Oxy-morons
Wentzl
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Some photos from the SW Ridge of Sneffels taken Thursday, 9/27. I did not take an axe or crampons and wouldn't have used either if I had. Careful footwork in a few pretty exposed sections was necessary. The last 200 vertical feet, which I usually walk upright with no difficulty I crawled most of because of the ice. I have done this ridge in every winter month and have never seen this much snow and ice clinging to the route. But that is sure to change by Saturday, right?
Attachments
The last few hundred feet
The last few hundred feet
DSC01562.JPG (126.61 KiB) Viewed 647 times
looking back at the crux
looking back at the crux
DSC01558.JPG (151.78 KiB) Viewed 655 times
From Blue Lakes Pass
From Blue Lakes Pass
DSC01555.JPG (145.52 KiB) Viewed 655 times

Wentzl
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

While we are on the subject I particularly like this photo of Wrights Lake. Shows the snow conditions well below the ridge in question. Drifts only to mid calf. Easy walking everywhere. Mostly only a couple inches all the way to the Pass.
Attachments
DSC01546.JPG
DSC01546.JPG (131.82 KiB) Viewed 583 times

mountain hiker
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain hiker »

Thanks Wentzl.

update- I climbed Sneffels yesterday. The final pitch was dry. There was snow in the small gullies of the SW Ridge route, not too bad.