Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Bierstadt North Face Gully Conditions?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Bierstadt North Face Gully Conditions?

Postby SikYou » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:02 pm

For anyone that has been up there in the past day or 2. Is there a lot of snow? I am hitting the north face gully on Thursday and I'm hopeful for some snow. I'm greedy so I'll go ahead and ask for pictures as well as verbal reports of what the standard route trail looks like. If you could please included direct shots of the north face gully I would appreciate it :lol:

(Please understand the sarcasm in my post. Now hurry up with those pictures!)

Thanks! [-o< [-o<
"Is it an up hill hike all the way to the summit?" Brian L.

Re: Bierstadt North Face Gully Conditions?

Postby ed20320 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:49 am

i'm not sure of the snow conditions, but if there isn't any or at least a healthy amount, consider waiting. I've been up that face numerous times and i can't imagine doing it without the snow. Its an awesome training climb and it has a few alternatives if the face conditions aren't favorable.

Good Luck,

Ed
In the immortal words of Socrates, “I drank WHAT?”

Postby SikYou » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Thanks for the info Ed. I'm gonna head up there in the morning and take a look. I'm hoping that Thursday morning+cooler weather+snow=less crowded :shock:
"Is it an up hill hike all the way to the summit?" Brian L.

Postby metalmountain » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:51 pm

ed20320 wrote:i'm not sure of the snow conditions, but if there isn't any or at least a healthy amount, consider waiting. I've been up that face numerous times and i can't imagine doing it without the snow. Its an awesome training climb and it has a few alternatives if the face conditions aren't favorable.

Good Luck,

Ed

Let me satisfy your imagination...it sucks without snow. Did it once and have no real drive to do it again.
"The greatest battle is not physical but psychological. The demons telling us to give up when we push ourselves to the limit can never be silenced for good. They must always be answered by the quiet, steady dignity that simply refuses to give in. Courage. We all suffer. Keep going." - Graeme Fife

"I found that nothing truly matters, that you cannot find for free." - The Gaslight Anthem

Postby ThuChad » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:45 pm

metalmountain wrote:
ed20320 wrote:i'm not sure of the snow conditions, but if there isn't any or at least a healthy amount, consider waiting. I've been up that face numerous times and i can't imagine doing it without the snow. Its an awesome training climb and it has a few alternatives if the face conditions aren't favorable.

Good Luck,

Ed

Let me satisfy your imagination...it sucks without snow. Did it once and have no real drive to do it again.

I'm not sure what's worse, the gully or the willow swamp. I'd rather go back over the sawtooth and reascend Bierstadt than do that mess again.
I'm just pretending to be a poseur.

Postby SchralpTheGnar » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:04 pm

Postby ed20320 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:44 pm

"I'm not sure what's worse, the gully or the willow swamp. I'd rather go back over the sawtooth and reascend Bierstadt than do that mess again."

do it in the winter, snowshoe across the frozen swamps and avoid the whole willow thing. much easier.
In the immortal words of Socrates, “I drank WHAT?”