South Maroon Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Crestoner
Trip Reports (0)

Re: South Maroon Conditions?

Post by Crestoner »

weh and Neil:

Best I can do for you is this photo taken Sunday, from North Maroon.
Attachments
IMG_5600a.jpg
IMG_5600a.jpg (216.56 KiB) Viewed 572 times
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

North Maroon WAS one of my three favorites for ten minutes until you and MountainMedic arrived, killed my hat, and ruined my life. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I seem to have that effect on people.

AWilbur77 - I didn't mean to talk you out of it.

nkan02 - Out of curiosity, what are your top 3?
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

A little more snow on the North Face of South and the Western Gullies as well. Wished we had micro spikes. Snow on North beginning at the upper deck of the second gully (approach to the chimney)
The Legend
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (6)

Post by The Legend »

Just did this peak yesterday. It was totally snow free on the trail, just snow on the north side. Everything was great, no ice, just a great long hard hike.
MountainMedic
14ers: 58  3  1 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Post by MountainMedic »

Neil wrote:
MonGoose wrote:My three favorite peaks to date are Wetterhorn, North Maroon and Capitol. Without a doubt, South Maroon is my least favorite peak. You can have it all to yourself nkan02, because you won't see me back on South Maroon anytime soon.
North Maroon WAS one of my three favorites for ten minutes until you and MountainMedic arrived, killed my hat, and ruined my life. :lol: Anyway, agreed...it's a great peak. I'll let you know after this weekend how I feel about S. Maroon, but I have a feeling we'll be on the same page...
Just be glad you weren't exposed to my pale naked ass on the descent. I've heard it can blind people when viewed at the right angle from the sun.
MonGoose
14ers: 58  16  17 
13ers: 51 11 1
Trip Reports (16)

Post by MonGoose »

Yeah MountainMedic, I think you permanently damaged the sensor on my camera.
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

MountainMedic wrote:
Neil wrote:
MonGoose wrote:My three favorite peaks to date are Wetterhorn, North Maroon and Capitol. Without a doubt, South Maroon is my least favorite peak. You can have it all to yourself nkan02, because you won't see me back on South Maroon anytime soon.
North Maroon WAS one of my three favorites for ten minutes until you and MountainMedic arrived, killed my hat, and ruined my life. :lol: Anyway, agreed...it's a great peak. I'll let you know after this weekend how I feel about S. Maroon, but I have a feeling we'll be on the same page...
Just be glad you weren't exposed to my pale naked ass on the descent. I've heard it can blind people when viewed at the right angle from the sun.
For this, I am eternally thankful! Must have had good karma after losing my favorite hat ever. However, I am worried about something. MonGoose was taking pictures of it? I'm a liberal guy and all, but keep it at home fellas! :lol:
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
Neil
14ers: 41 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Neil »

The Legend wrote:Just did this peak yesterday. It was totally snow free on the trail, just snow on the north side. Everything was great, no ice, just a great long hard hike.
Legend, you lived up to your name providing such timely beta. Thank you!
"On the edge of the porch in the warm evening night
Throwing the bone for the dog I see two passing lights
Well, I wonder where that driver's bound
Is there someone, somewhere, someway out there that I've not found"
-Driving Song
semitrueskerm
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (4)

Post by semitrueskerm »

MountainMedic wrote:
Neil wrote:

Those aren't pillows... :-s
jblyth
14ers: 58  5  15 
13ers: 145 8 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jblyth »

Just a quick note on the 2800’ up the east slope. A group of five of us did South Maroon a few weeks back, starting around 3 am from Maroon Lake. It was still dark when we started ascending the east slope and our group split up into two smaller groups going at different speeds. The person I was with had a GPS track which took us straight up the slope (just like the route description shows), where you hit a series of gullies that have lots of loose rock that could potentially come down on those below you. We knocked down a few that kept going for at least 1000’. The others in our group took a trail which traversed further left (well marked) on the slopes which brought you to the lower ridge. We met at the top of the ridge and discussed our different routes and agreed to take their option when coming back down. After doing both ways, I can tell you they had a much better (and safer) way. It was still steep, but much less loose rock that could potentially come down.

I really enjoyed South Maroon and didn’t think it was as bad as what I’d heard, just my opinion.
CCU_Jim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 92
Trip Reports (3)

Post by CCU_Jim »

jblyth17 wrote:Just a quick note on the 2800’ up the east slope. A group of five of us did South Maroon a few weeks back, starting around 3 am from Maroon Lake. It was still dark when we started ascending the east slope and our group split up into two smaller groups going at different speeds. The person I was with had a GPS track which took us straight up the slope (just like the route description shows), where you hit a series of gullies that have lots of loose rock that could potentially come down on those below you. We knocked down a few that kept going for at least 1000’. The others in our group took a trail which traversed further left (well marked) on the slopes which brought you to the lower ridge. We met at the top of the ridge and discussed our different routes and agreed to take their option when coming back down. After doing both ways, I can tell you they had a much better (and safer) way. It was still steep, but much less loose rock that could potentially come down.

I really enjoyed South Maroon and didn’t think it was as bad as what I’d heard, just my opinion.
I'll second the alternate route. We climbed yesterday and ended up on this left route without realizing it because the trail was so good we never realized we were 'off-route'. Looking at my GPS route, we diverged from Bill's .gpx at about 12,200' and hit the South Ridge about 12,900'. From there, there was a solid cairned trail that led to the notch where you meet back up with the standard route.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

CCU_Jim wrote:
jblyth17 wrote:Just a quick note on the 2800’ up the east slope. A group of five of us did South Maroon a few weeks back, starting around 3 am from Maroon Lake. It was still dark when we started ascending the east slope and our group split up into two smaller groups going at different speeds. The person I was with had a GPS track which took us straight up the slope (just like the route description shows), where you hit a series of gullies that have lots of loose rock that could potentially come down on those below you. We knocked down a few that kept going for at least 1000’. The others in our group took a trail which traversed further left (well marked) on the slopes which brought you to the lower ridge. We met at the top of the ridge and discussed our different routes and agreed to take their option when coming back down. After doing both ways, I can tell you they had a much better (and safer) way. It was still steep, but much less loose rock that could potentially come down.

I'll second the alternate route. We climbed yesterday and ended up on this left route without realizing it because the trail was so good we never realized we were 'off-route'. Looking at my GPS route, we diverged from Bill's .gpx at about 12,200' and hit the South Ridge about 12,900'. From there, there was a solid cairned trail that led to the notch where you meet back up with the standard route.
This makes sense now. It seems like we took this route as well. It was just a well defined dirt path. Almost no rocks at all until you hit the "lower" point on the ridge. We then took the ridge up and only then it got rocky.