Conditions on Grays Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hop2it
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (1)

Conditions on Grays Peak

Post by hop2it »

Im thinking of hiking Grays Peak tomorrow with a friend and was wondering if anyone knows if there is any snow Grays? I looked under weather history and it said that there was a heavy snow and some rain in the area on the 11th. And with me being new to 14ers, I want to play it safe and cautious when it comes to questionable conditions.

Thanks for the help!

Oh and if anyone has any suggestions for a different peak, Im open to that too! Thanks again.
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Conditions on Grays Peak

Post by Tortoise1 »

I can see only the west side from here in Keystone and there is some snow up there, maybe the top thousand feet, not solid but a considerable amount of snow. Of course it's the other side that's important.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I don't know the conditions on Grays, but I have climbed a few 14ers in a few inches of early fall snow and I thought they were a blast! (This included Bierstadt, my first ever 14er). The views are also enhanced by a little snow, in my opinion. My advice is that since the route is technically easy, you should give it a try, and just be ready to turn around if you don't like the conditions.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
hop2it
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

ok thanks! I think thats what my friend wants to do. I only have regular hiking boots and your basic winter clothing, so I just didnt want to take any extra risk since Im not really that skilled as a hiker. Especially since Ive only done three of the "easier" 14ers, and they were even challenging, in my opinion. :)
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Any snow? Nothing to be worried about. You might get your boots wet. Watch out for ice...especially on the rocky downclimb. You'll have plenty of company.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
CODave
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 61 1
Trip Reports (31)

Post by CODave »

If you go can you please post when you get back tomorrow afternoon/evening since I'm planning on going Sunday? :)
PaliKona
14ers: 20 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by PaliKona »

Was just up on Evans today with about 3" on the north side...Grays definately has snow on the north face where the trail is while Torreys looked clear. I've done the trail in early snow, its fun and not a big deal. The trail will be packed down from traffic already.
hop2it
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

Thanks! I guess my concern is, just because Im pretty slow moving on a normal sunny day, let alone with snow ...haha. But really, if the snow is packed down, wouldnt it be more potential for ice?? Thanks!
bodhidharma
14ers: 50  1  1 
13ers: 79
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bodhidharma »

I went up Kelso ridge to Torreys, over to Grays, then Edwards morning after it snowed. Snow is beautiful wont be an issue. Maybe bring microspikes just in case? Enjoy!
hop2it
Trip Reports (1)

Post by hop2it »

For anyone going up tomorrow, everything looked pretty good on Grays today. There were just a few sketchy parts, but nothing too serious at all (probably will all be melted by tomorrow). Also, if you do the saddle between Grays and Torreys, I heard that it was more icy and snowy on the Grays side, so I opted not to do that; however, my friend however went for it and made it fine.

Have fun!
theglobalguy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by theglobalguy »

I'm thinking of doing Kelso's ridge this weekend...with the forecast of snow for the next few days, is this a horrible idea?
wildlobo71
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 88
Trip Reports (3)

Post by wildlobo71 »

theglobalguy wrote:I'm thinking of doing Kelso's ridge this weekend...with the forecast of snow for the next few days, is this a horrible idea?
Do you have snow-climbing experience? If so, it's not a horrible idea as long as you are prepared and knowledgeable.
Bill W.

Time for the next great losing streak to begin.
#forcedrefocus