When will snow become a factor on Barr Trail?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: When will snow become a factor on Barr Trail?

Post by susanjoypaul »

More snow on Pikes yesterday, and they're calling for another 3-6 inches today! Woo Hoo!!!!!!
Theodore
14ers: 20  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Theodore »

Weather next week looks like it's warming up a bit. It'll be interesting to see how much snow is left after that! Toying with a quick trip out next weekend to finish off the front range...
Tortoise1
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tortoise1 »

susanjoypaul wrote:More snow on Pikes yesterday, and they're calling for another 3-6 inches today! Woo Hoo!!!!!!
That's a Boo Hoo, not a Woo Hoo! The Dillon forecast for next week is 61-63 highs, sunny and no chance of rain. Woo Hoo! You can have all the snow you want after October 8 when I go back to AZ.
summit21
14ers: 47 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by summit21 »

You should look at doing the Crags, a much more enjoyable hike, easy class 2. Weather is supposed to clear out Friday through early next week. You may encounter some snow, but no new in the forecast until the first weekend in October.
"The weather? The weather? Just show up at the trailhead and see what happens...you'll be surprised!"
apasquel
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (31)

Post by apasquel »

Looking to maybe climb via Barr Trail in Late April/ Early May. What gear do you guys recommend. I saw an earlier post that said guy didn't need crampons, axe, or snowshoes...I'm thinking I would probably take an ice axe at microspikes...or are crampons necessity.
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

apasquel wrote:Looking to maybe climb via Barr Trail in Late April/ Early May. What gear do you guys recommend. I saw an earlier post that said guy didn't need crampons, axe, or snowshoes...I'm thinking I would probably take an ice axe at microspikes...or are crampons necessity.
Ask that question again in April. The conditions vary a lot from year to year, and I've done Barr Trail in crampons (probably overkill, but I didn't have microspikes at the time) and the Crags route in snowshoes. I carried an ice axe both times, more to complement my trekking pole than for self -arrest. I've also done those routes in shorts and sports bra. It's impossible to predict what the conditions are going to be like next spring.

But they are calling for one to three more inches up there today - woo hoo!!
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

summit21 wrote:You should look at doing the Crags, a much more enjoyable hike, easy class 2. Weather is supposed to clear out Friday through early next week. You may encounter some snow, but no new in the forecast until the first weekend in October.
Agree. I like Crags over Barr Trail, although it is a longer drive to the TH.
Gear: Microspikes and ice axe always nice to have around snow. Doesn't mean you'll use them, but if needed, you get to keep going rather than turning back.
uwe
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by uwe »

susanjoypaul wrote:More snow on Pikes yesterday, and they're calling for another 3-6 inches today! Woo Hoo!!!!!!
Somebody throw that girl a snowball!
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »