Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

When will snow become a factor on Barr Trail?

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports

Re: When will snow become a factor on Barr Trail?

Postby susanjoypaul » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:28 am

More snow on Pikes yesterday, and they're calling for another 3-6 inches today! Woo Hoo!!!!!!

Postby Theodore » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:12 am

Weather next week looks like it's warming up a bit. It'll be interesting to see how much snow is left after that! Toying with a quick trip out next weekend to finish off the front range...

Postby Tortoise1 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:46 am

susanjoypaul wrote:More snow on Pikes yesterday, and they're calling for another 3-6 inches today! Woo Hoo!!!!!!

That's a Boo Hoo, not a Woo Hoo! The Dillon forecast for next week is 61-63 highs, sunny and no chance of rain. Woo Hoo! You can have all the snow you want after October 8 when I go back to AZ.

Postby summit21 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:09 am

You should look at doing the Crags, a much more enjoyable hike, easy class 2. Weather is supposed to clear out Friday through early next week. You may encounter some snow, but no new in the forecast until the first weekend in October.
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Postby apasquel » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Looking to maybe climb via Barr Trail in Late April/ Early May. What gear do you guys recommend. I saw an earlier post that said guy didn't need crampons, axe, or snowshoes...I'm thinking I would probably take an ice axe at microspikes...or are crampons necessity.

Postby susanjoypaul » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:53 am

apasquel wrote:Looking to maybe climb via Barr Trail in Late April/ Early May. What gear do you guys recommend. I saw an earlier post that said guy didn't need crampons, axe, or snowshoes...I'm thinking I would probably take an ice axe at microspikes...or are crampons necessity.

Ask that question again in April. The conditions vary a lot from year to year, and I've done Barr Trail in crampons (probably overkill, but I didn't have microspikes at the time) and the Crags route in snowshoes. I carried an ice axe both times, more to complement my trekking pole than for self -arrest. I've also done those routes in shorts and sports bra. It's impossible to predict what the conditions are going to be like next spring.

But they are calling for one to three more inches up there today - woo hoo!!

Postby uwe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:16 pm

summit21 wrote:You should look at doing the Crags, a much more enjoyable hike, easy class 2. Weather is supposed to clear out Friday through early next week. You may encounter some snow, but no new in the forecast until the first weekend in October.

Agree. I like Crags over Barr Trail, although it is a longer drive to the TH.
Gear: Microspikes and ice axe always nice to have around snow. Doesn't mean you'll use them, but if needed, you get to keep going rather than turning back.

Postby uwe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:18 pm

susanjoypaul wrote:More snow on Pikes yesterday, and they're calling for another 3-6 inches today! Woo Hoo!!!!!!

Somebody throw that girl a snowball!

Postby susanjoypaul » Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:23 am

Previous