Nolans14 FKT Attempt

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Nolans14 FKT Attempt

Post by madbuck »

Best of luck Eric, wish I were around to help (and mostly "witness"), you've put solid work into this for a few years it seems and if anybody has the chops for it, it's you! Go for it!
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jaymz »

Good luck, I'll be watching!
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
Headwall5
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (14)

Post by Headwall5 »

You got this man! Your TR's are inspiring, your so fast! Good luck!
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Doc: And in the future, we don't need horses. We have motorized carriages called automobiles.

Saloon Old Timer #3: If everybody's got one of these auto-whatsits, does anybody walk or run anymore?

Doc: Of course we run. But for recreation. For fun.

Saloon Old Timer #3: Run for fun? What the hell kind of fun is that?
IkeB
14ers: 58  1  15 
13ers: 50 1 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by IkeB »

Best of luck! Be safe and fast.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Yay! More fun in the mountains... from my laptop. At 4 a.m.

Have fun, be safe, and thanks for sharing with us!
giarcd
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (15)

Post by giarcd »

This old fat guy can only marvel with the attempt-----good luck and be safe!!
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Hoping Bill makes us another map so we can watch this in "Homie-Vision."
Gareth
14ers: 25 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gareth »

Kick some mountain butt, Eric! I remember running into you on my way up Huron last year as you were training for Nolan's.
"Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they've got a second."
- William James
wegerje
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by wegerje »

Damn you Cave Dog. Damn you Homie. And Damn you Bill Middlebrook

Cave dog, by setting a record that is hard but not impossible to beat you created what is called in the legal business "an attractive nuisance." Homie you brought attention to that nuisance. And Bill you are enabling crazies to go out there and do all kinds of foolish stuff.

Where will this all end? Do you all realize just how many possible records might now be created and then beaten. Range records like the Sawatch are obvious, of course. We already have Nolan to curse for the Sawatch one. What are the other range records.

I don't know because I haven't run across the information on this site. I'm looking at you Middlebrook. How come on the peaks main page where they are listed by range there is no link to range information. Range information like various records and trip reports of those doing an entire range.

Nolan's Sawatch thing is interesting in its own right but there is now a very interesting sub genre of Range racing. Range racing under the Colorado 3000 foot rule. Those of us following Homie were often curious as to what pace could be expected at various splits. While doing the Nolan thing is interesting to future runs on the Cave Dog record, even more interesting would be splits that were run with an assist team driving the participant between 3000 foot trailhead points.

All the possible variations of the various records would require a lot of very tedious record keeping. But wait. We now have computers connected to an internet and social networks of people trained in doing their own data entry.

So now all we need is some crazy person to start a web site about climbing mountains in Colorado to collect it all.

Oh by the way Eric, Good Luck!
Jeff Wegerson
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

Giddy-UP! All the best Eric.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

thebeave7 wrote:Well, with Homie very graciously bowing out today (sadden it didn't work out), I will do my best to pick up the torch. Tomorrow morning (8/31) around 6am I will be starting out from the Fish Hatchery just outside Leadville with an ultimate goal of summitting 14 sawatch 14ers enroute to the Blank Gulch TH in under 60hours (some time Sunday, FKT of 54:57). Here is a little info on the route...
http://mattmahoney.net/nolans14/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is my SPOT, which will officially go live tomorrow morning with the auto-tracking function, hopefully providing 10min updates.
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/face ... PnBZsDmlCl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope everyone has a fantastic long weekend in the mountains.

Eric Lee
Does anyone know if Eric forgot to turn his SPOT on? He was supposed to start around 6:00 this morning, right?