A request from the FDNY in memory of Lenny Joyner

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

A request from the FDNY in memory of Lenny Joyner

Post by tmathews »

A couple of days ago, I showed the photo that ltwitte had on his recent TR for North Maroon to a few guys at the FDNY. It was of the summit register and it appeared to show Lenny signing in (it was him). Is anyone planning to head up North Maroon this weekend? I'd like to see if 14ers.com can help them out with this request:
Terry, the picture you posted of the summit log from North Maroon Peak means a lot to us, since you're in the area could you see if someone could snap a picture of the page that Lenny signed? The cover page is blocking part of the text at the bottom and from looking at the handwriting I think it was all stuff written by him. It would mean a lot to everyone if we could get a clear picture of his last words to the world.
I know the forecast doesn't look too good this weekend, but in case someone does summit can you make a mental note to try and take a high-quality photo of the page Lenny signed per the info above? It would mean a lot to his family and friends.
screeman57
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 79 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: A request from the FDNY in memory of Lenny Joyner

Post by screeman57 »

There's a good possibility I'll be up there on Friday. If so, I'd be happy to take the picture. If it happens, I'll PM you and then email you the pic.

Very generous of you to arrange this.
“To be is to do”—Socrates.
“To do is to be”—Jean-Paul Sartre.
“Do be do be do”—Frank Sinatra.
forbins_mtn
14ers: 28  2 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by forbins_mtn »

if it doesn't happen this week there is a big group of us heading up there next weekend. i'd love to help with anything i can
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

Thanks, all. My father was a firefighter and EMT for over 20 years, so I feel a small semblance of kinship with these guys. Any help is greatly appreciated.
mountainmicah83
14ers: 58  3  10 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (24)

Post by mountainmicah83 »

Thank you for initiating this Terry!
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

Visit my blog at: http://mountainmicah.blogspot.com
djkest
14ers: 58 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (44)

Post by djkest »

Would it be appropriate to remove this page from the summit register to give to them? I mean, the summit registers don't really have an official purpose, and it's a physical link to Lenny's climb. What do you think?

My friend is going up N maroon in a couple days, I'll have her snap a picture, just in case everything else falls through.
Life is a mountain, not a beach.
Exploring and Wine, my personal blog
dillonsarnelli
14ers: 58  19 
13ers: 274 8
Trip Reports (53)

Post by dillonsarnelli »

Terry - great post. Way to make this happen.
Dillon Sarnelli
IG @dillonsarnelli
Basecamp, CO
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

djkest wrote:Would it be appropriate to remove this page from the summit register to give to them?
Take the page out. No one will care, except his friends and family, who will cherish it.
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
ztop
14ers: 56 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ztop »

I agree his friends and family should have the original but scan the sheet and send it to the CMC so they have it for their archives.
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

The earliest I could pull it off would be Saturday. If someone gets it before then please post. If I can get it before then I will post it here. Will pull the page, scan it and get the original to FDNY.
sherpasmith
14ers: 43 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sherpasmith »

Take it, send it. It's the best use of that log. It would serve too great a purpose not to.
TaylorHolt
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 210 7
Trip Reports (8)

Post by TaylorHolt »

DeucesWild wrote:
djkest wrote:Would it be appropriate to remove this page from the summit register to give to them?
Take the page out. No one will care, except his friends and family, who will cherish it.
+1
“If you're bumming out, you're not gonna get to the top, so as long as we're up here we might as well make a point of grooving." -Scott Fischer