Bross Solution: New Summit?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.

Good Idea (see first post, below)?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 136
JonW
14ers: 14 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bross Solution: New Summit?

Post by JonW »

I think this is good idea. If the purists complain about the "public" summit not being the "true" summit, then they have too much time on their hands. It's only 25 feet. Who cares?
Gahugafuga
14ers: 53 
13ers: 98
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Gahugafuga »

I'd also be willing to fund a frisbee golf course on the public summit. I'm sure if an errant frisbee landed on the private summit, the landowner would prefer people to retrieve their discs rather than abandon them as litter.
Upwardlybound
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Upwardlybound »

Bill, I think that's reasonable. Bross is so flat (and boring...) on the summit that it really doesn't make that much difference. It would decrease the traffic across the disputed property and probably lesson issues.
"He who forms the mountains, creates the wind, and reveals His thoughts to men, He who turns dawn to darkness, and treads the high places of the earth -- the Lord God Almighty is His name." Amos 4:13
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

As I am (apparently?) one of the few left-brained purists, I'll just speak up and say it would tear at the inner-reaches of my conscious for the rest of my life knowing I was within 25 feet of the true summit and didn't make it. Then again, I've already been at the true summit, so I have no horse in this race...
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

Here's another idea: since the uncooperative property owner apparently claims that he needs to keep that summit private for his future mining endeavors, maybe we should just ask him to rearrange that slag heap of a mountain for us? He could drive his bulldozer up there, strip a bit of land from his side of the peak, put the material on the public side, and now we've got our publicly accessible 14'er! Climbers will rejoice at their ability to stand on the true summit, and the landowner will be happy that his property is no longer of any value to those terribly invasive trespassing hikers (who may have been damaging his minerals for all of these years).
+1 =D>
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
jsdratm
14ers: 24  2 
13ers: 40
Trip Reports (4)

Post by jsdratm »

I think it is reasonable. The summit point is not very distinct and that difference in elevation is not a big deal.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

Why don't we have a 14ers.com "Summit Rearranging Party?"

Let's go up there and build the "mother of all summit carins" at Bill's orange X. We could build it up to 14,172 like the Egyptian's built a pyramid and just "move" the true summit. (I am sure someone wouldn't mind going in under the cover of darkness and remove some rocks from the "old" summit.)

Crossfitter can carry up the keg and the hot tub party can be held here on Bross so we can soak after all of our hard work!
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

globreal wrote:Why don't we have a 14ers.com "Summit Rearranging Party?"

Let's go up there and build the "mother of all summit carins" at Bill's orange X. We could build it up to 14,172 like the Egyptian's built a pyramid and just "move" the true summit. (I am sure someone wouldn't mind going in under the cover of darkness and remove some rocks from the "old" summit.)

Crossfitter can carry up the keg and the hot tub party can be held here on Bross so we can soak after all of our hard work!
+1

Build a big enough cairn, and everyone will just gravitate towards it anyway. Only those with a GPS may know differently. :-"
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

crossfitter wrote:instead of destroying the pristine wilderness that is the summit of Bross, we should have the Landowner haul up a large boulder to build up the summit on public land. If the right boulder is chosen, our brand new summit block would upgrade bross from class 1 to 5.12a, V5, A3.
Why involve the landowner? We could just chip in to hire a helicopter and move some boulders up there ourselves! Even if we can't get a single class-5 boulder up there, we could build a pile that would make that summit way more fun.

Of course, the Forest Service wouldn't approve, so this would have to be done at night. The Army could just use it as a training mission for their new helicopter brigade.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Presto
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 308 21
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Presto »

I'm just curious to know who the three are that voted "no" on this ... :-k :-s
As if none of us have ever come back with a cool, quasi-epic story instead of being victim to tragic rockfall, a fatal stumble, a heart attack, an embolism, a lightning strike, a bear attack, collapsing cornice, some psycho with an axe, a falling tree, carbon monoxide, even falling asleep at the wheel getting to a mountain. If you can't accept the fact that sometimes "s**t happens", then you live with the illusion that your epic genius and profound wilderness intelligence has put you in total and complete control of yourself, your partners, and the mountain. How mystified you'll be when "s**t happens" to you! - FM
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Presto wrote:I'm just curious to know who the three are that voted "no" on this ... :-k :-s
Only one person knows, and he started the poll. ;-)

I think if a large cairn were built at that spot, containing the summit register, most people would skip the "true" summit.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
Floyd
13ers: 100
Trip Reports (35)

Post by Floyd »

Can we just take rocks from South Bross and move it over to the public summit until it's higher than the current summit and we do away with South Bross? That kills 2 birds with one stone: 1) you get the public summit as the actual without involving anything on private land and 2) I don't have to go back up that pile of rubble for my unranked 14er point list.

Speaking of which... Bill if we ever meet in person, we need to have a sitdown as you're the only person that I've seen make note of that thing.

DISCLAIMER... I have no idea if South Bross is on private land and don't care to check. That could throw a big wrench in my plan.
"Athletes express themselves physically, this is their art. As an athlete, exhausting oneself on the field or or on the track or on the trail or on the mountain brings calm and satisfaction. Thrashing about… our expression." - Steve Gleason