Congrats to Calvin, an 8 year old 14er finisher

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Re: Congrats to Calvin, an 8 year old 14er finisher

Post by Johnson »

Amazing stuff here Calvin. Way to go! Now it's time the 13ers!
Last edited by Johnson on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
Mountainspirit
14ers: 20 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Mountainspirit »

Congratulations Calvin and Andrew!! Very rewarding and amazing feat!! =D>
"I sang out from a mountain top, out to the valley down below
Because my cup doth overflow
With the beauty of the days gone by." - Van Morrison
DeucesWild
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DeucesWild »

Mountainspirit wrote:Congratulations Calvin and Andrew!! Very rewarding and amazing feat!! =D>
+1 Amazing feet =D>
Snowflakes, Uber Alles!

http://www.deuceIRA.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Put the Douche in your FiDeuceiary needs today!!
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Way to go Calvin! I look forward to hearing more about your mountaineering achievements, looks like you have a long and illustrious climbing career ahead of you! =D>
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Good job!
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
catbus-x
14ers: 14 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by catbus-x »

Go little sherpa =D> =D>
Rigel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rigel »

Way to go! Awesome achievement!
Is it not better to take risks... than die within from rot? Is it not better to change one's life completely than to wait for the brain to set firmly and irreversibly in one way of life and one environment? I think it is... taking risks, not for the sake of danger alone, but for the sake of growth, is more important than any security one can buy or inherit.
--Charlie Houston
BearCrawl
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BearCrawl »

Wow! I'm so proud of my 8 year old for doing 3 14ers. I know it's not a competition, but it really puts it in perspective when you think of what this little guy has done! Absolutely incredible little man. Stay safe, best wishes and it's great to share the state with the likes of you my man.....Great work and thanks for inspiring my little ones. You probably don't understand at your age what you've done for others around the state, but a role model is a role model at any age.
RosieTheSummiter
14ers: 40 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (3)

Post by RosieTheSummiter »

Calvin and Andrew!! - WOOOHOOOO!
You did it!!! Someone told me through the grapevine that you (Calvin) were close to finishing, but I didn't realize you were finishing this year. Congratulations to you big time! Hiking with you guys on Holy Cross and Quandary were memorable and fun times for sure, and I'm continually amazed!
Below is a pic of you both on Quandary that I thought you might like.
Truly, truly amazing, and well done!
Connie
Attachments
CIMG1855_b.jpg
CIMG1855_b.jpg (135.44 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
"Don't get mad, get altitude."
FluffyBunny
14ers: 39 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (2)

Post by FluffyBunny »

Finishing the 14ers is a big feat for anybody. Congrats little dude!
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Hi folks, I just wanted to give you an update on Calvin. Last week we finished up his second cycle of 14ers with climbs of Capitol, and finally Snowmass. We were very lucky to get it done on Friday, just before a big rainstorm dumped a bunch of snow in the Elks.

It was his goal to complete the 14ers for a second time before he turned 11, and we just barely made it by two days. I actually tried to talk him out of it (he was a little out of shape after spending nearly 3 weeks at sea level, and the weather forecast was not something to get excited about), but he was determined.

I was impressed because of how positive he was, despite being so tired and out of breath. It isn't how well you do when you are feeling great that matters...it is how well you do when you feel terrible!

Anyway, I'd love to move on to something else like 13ers...but it may just be more 14ers in his future as we have to start climbing 14ers with Scarlett and Luke now that Luke is old enough to hike on his own. Calvin has managed to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Rainier, and the Sunlight Spire though in addition to the standard 14ers.
Snowmass, last 14er of 2nd cycle!
Snowmass, last 14er of 2nd cycle!
andrews iphone 8_28_14 158_small.jpg (159.22 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
Climbing on Capitol.
Climbing on Capitol.
andrews iphone 8_28_14 078_small.jpg (223.79 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
its_not_a_tuba
14ers: 36  1  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (1)

Post by its_not_a_tuba »

awesome!
"Wilderness settles peace on the soul because it needs no help. It is beyond human contrivance." -- E.O. Wilson