Maroon Bells-Camping at Crater Lake

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
wanabeayeti
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Maroon Bells-Camping at Crater Lake

Post by wanabeayeti »

Hello all,

I'm planning to utilize a high camp in the Crater Lake vicinity in order to tackle Pyramid and the Bells. Any advice on the best sites in this area, or any tricks on locating them? Is water available nearby to these sites? Also, as I understand it the camping is limited to designated sites only on a first come, first served basis, but no backcountry permit is required. Is this corrrect? I'm also assuming that overnight hikers are still allowed to proceed on the Maroon Lake Road during daylight hours as per the route description....

Thanks for your help in clarifying these details,

Nate
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Maroon Bells-Camping at Crater Lake

Post by MtHurd »

You might want to call, but when I was there last there were certain times of the day where you could not drive up, it was buses only. The times of the day you could drive up they charged $10. If you drive up the road before the tool booth opens (6 or 7 a.m.) it is free.

No backcountry permit was required and the sites were first come first serve and they do require you to use those sites. I don't think any of them are any better or worse than others but I didn't really look at all of them to determine which one was best.

Someone else may have some more current info if things have changed recently.
wanabeayeti
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wanabeayeti »

Okay, found this page on the White River Forest Service website, sounds like overnight hikers are still allowed to proceed during the 9-5 window, possibly with a $10 fee ?-

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... il+%231975" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bmorrill
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bmorrill »

Hi Nate,

Will you post what you find after your trip? I'll be up there in a few weeks and hope to camp in the Crater Lake area.

Thanks!
Ben
WSN
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (3)

Post by WSN »

I camped at Crater Lake last August. It was a week day so it was very easy to get a camp site. I guess it would be a different story on weekends. No permit needed.
Some of those sites are small and some are really large. What I can remember is that sites #1 and #2 are relatively small, especially #2 (where I camped... only enough for 1 tent). There should be a sign with the map of all these sites at the junction of west maroon trail and maroon-snowmass trail trail, where sites #1 and #2 are located. Some camp sites (#9,#10 and #11? not sure) might be difficult to find - at least I couldn't find them at that time.
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

wanabeayeti wrote:Okay, found this page on the White River Forest Service website, sounds like overnight hikers are still allowed to proceed during the 9-5 window, possibly with a $10 fee ?-

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... il+%231975
According to the website you posted, you CANNOT drive the road from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. I am not sure what "exceptions" apply, you'll probably have to call for that.
Visitors wanting to visit the Bells during the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. will need to take the Bus from Aspen Highlands (few exceptions apply**)
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

Back in June JMB and I arrived late and were completely confused by the sign at the gate. Our interpretation was $5 dollars for the car overnight, we put $5 buck in the self pay and put the receipt on John's window, we did not get a ticket. We bivied further up so we did not use a camp site, I am not clear on whether what we did was following the rules or not. We found a pretty sweet level grassy patch and then we packed up our stuff in the morning and stashed/hid some gear which wasted about 45 minutes so a formal camp with a tent and leaving your stuff would be the way to go.

As you head up the trail they have sign pointing to the camp sites with their respective site number and arrows so they are easy to find. If you can get there when a ranger is present it will probably help in sorting out what the proper fees are. The signs were more confusing than helpful.
wanabeayeti
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wanabeayeti »

Thanks for all the replies! Barry, as least in my reading of it, overnight backpackers are listed in the exceptions, second to last, but the format the website uses for this is clear as mud. From the web site-

The Maroon Bells Scenic Area is a recreation fee area; there is a mandatory fee. Maroon Creek Road is open to all non motorized forms of transportation at no charge. 7:00am – 9:00am road is open to vehicles with a $10.00 fee* - Visitors wanting to visit the Bells during the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. will need to take the Bus from Aspen Highlands (few exceptions apply**) 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. road is open to vehicles with a $10.00 recreation use fee* - You may park your vehicle for free at Aspen Highlands Village Parking Lot and travel via RFTA bus up the Maroon Valley. ** Exceptions to the motorized vehicle restriction * Vehicles with people with disabilities or with a valid Handicap placard or license plate * Vehicles with 11 people or more * Vehicles with infants that require a restraining child seat (not a booster seat) * Campers at Silver Bar, Silver Bell & Silver Queen Campgrounds * Holders with Special Use Permits issued by the Forest Service * Overnight Backpackers * Horse trailers

Still doesn't make it clear what the associated fee will be, but hopefully I will get there during the day and can ask directly. Thanks!

-Nate
MtHurd
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

It would make sense that they would allow overnight backpackers so hopefully that is the case. It certainly could have been written better. Hopefully you will pay your $10 and show them your backpacks and you will be good to go.

The camping site were a little difficult for us to find at Crater Lake, but that could have been the fact that it was 9 p.m. and it was heavily raining. :wink: We did find a nice spot, but we had to delay our climb a day to dry out.
wanabeayeti
Trip Reports (0)

Post by wanabeayeti »

Sounds like a rough start for your trip Barry! Thanks again for all the info, having a good idea of where the campsites are will be a big help.

Nate
rickinco123
14ers: 8 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by rickinco123 »

After reading through this thread I am wondering if my experiencing reading the FS sign, many of which contradicted each other, is intentional. Are they possibly violating some sort of rules or laws with some of their fees and this is how they are trying to get away with it? Why is it you can read their signs in person or read their documents online and no one is certain what they can or can't do and how much it costs? Maybe we are all just really stupid?
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

If you're driving up Maroon Creek road when the gate is staffed, you tell them you're overnight backpacking, pay $10, and proceed in your car to Maroon Lake. If you arrive at the gate when the gate is not staffed, you can drive right through or stop and pay the fee, then proceed to Maroon Lake.