Maroon Bells-Camping at Crater Lake

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
hollamby
14ers: 58  2  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Maroon Bells-Camping at Crater Lake

Post by hollamby »

You do have to pay 10 bucks if the gate is manned. I was just there last weekend, got there at 8am paid ten bucks and proceed to the overnight parking.

Hiked up to the last camp spots (# 10 + 11). Great little stream right there, views of the waterfalls off Maroon and overlooks Crater Lake. Highly recommend the site. Only problem is if you walk up there and someone is in the sites you have to turn around (if you are set on only camping in designated sites).

You DO have to have a backcountry permit. They are free to fill out at the trail head. If caught without one, I guess they can fine you.

I posted some pictures in a different thread of the weekend, but here are a couple of the site:

View from campsite:

It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary
Cool Hand Luke
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 105
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cool Hand Luke »

The signs are extremely misleading and aimed at getting more $$$...we paid the $10 overnight parking fee only. You cross into the the Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness area before Crater Lake, so to the best of my knowledge only the free backcountry permit is required.

The only advice I would offer if you're hoping to do Pyramid too is that sites 7-11 all involve stream crossings you would have to go through early in the morning. They're not big crossings at all, but when we did Pyramid and the Bell Cord 4 weeks ago most of the crossing logs were washed out.
leafmiles
14ers: 5 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by leafmiles »

Anyone have experience slinging hammocks in this area? Do certain sites have better trees for it?
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

leafmiles wrote:Anyone have experience slinging hammocks in this area? Do certain sites have better trees for it?
You might want to read this before planning your trip:
http://kdvr.com/2014/05/26/maroon-bells ... ampground/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

painless4u2 wrote:
leafmiles wrote:Anyone have experience slinging hammocks in this area? Do certain sites have better trees for it?
You might want to read this before planning your trip:
http://kdvr.com/2014/05/26/maroon-bells ... ampground/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just camped there. Designated spots 1 through 11 are all still open and untouched by the slide. While it was impressive, 'decimated' is quite the embellishment IMO.
painless4u2
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 »

I just camped there. Designated spots 1 through 11 are all still open and untouched by the slide. While it was impressive, 'decimated' is quite the embellishment IMO.
Nothing like a first-hand account, thanks. Good 'ol press embellishments...
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
jasonontheweb
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jasonontheweb »

If all designated camp sites are occupied, what are the options? I had planned to just find a spot 100' from water or trails, but it sounds like you can't camp except in designated spots?
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

I'd agree. I think the "decimated" comment is a bit of an embellishment. Just came back & found most of the designated sites still there. The slide seemed to come off the slopes near Minihaha Creek.
As far as where to camp if everything's full, no answer there. We did witness one guy setting his tent up in the valley VERY NEAR the creek feeding out of Crater Lake, but wouldn't recommend it. I imagine the fine for this would be substantial.
saxlover
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by saxlover »

ive brought my eno hammock up before. enjoyed a nice rest and view in it.
Andrew Tobin