Forum
Buying gear? Please use these links to help 14ers.com:

More info...

Other ways to help...

Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Colorado 14er peak questions and conditions should be posted here. 14er Trip Reports
User avatar
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:51 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Postby Brad Snider » Sat May 07, 2011 6:42 pm

The traverse of Gash Ridge/Blanca all the way to California Peak looks like a sweet ridge. Having trouble finding any beta on the section between Ellingwood's north ridge, UN 13618 and UN 13660, except for this photo: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2429/3718815243_6f0dfd5351_o.jpg (which makes it look do-able). Anyone have any first hand experience with it? Trying to see if I can get away without needing a rope for this section.

User avatar
Posts: 1342
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Estes Park

Re: Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Postby Kiefer » Sat May 07, 2011 10:36 pm

Brad Snider wrote:The traverse of Gash Ridge/Blanca all the way to California Peak looks like a sweet ridge. Having trouble finding any beta on the section between Ellingwood's north ridge, UN 13618 and UN 13660, except for this photo: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2429/3718815243_6f0dfd5351_o.jpg (which makes it look do-able). Anyone have any first hand experience with it? Trying to see if I can get away without needing a rope for this section.


From what I know...most of that particular section is 3rd class with some 4th class moves.
These is a short, maybe 30-40 foot section coming off Ellingwood that is low 5th. I haven't heard much about the rock quality but considering no one
climbs it or visits it on a regular basis, I'd expect a lot of choss and loose stuff.
I remember seeing/reading a report from someone (don't remember who) who climbed Ellingwood from South Zapata Lake. From what I remember, it was challenging but well within 'normal' means. I intend to head up there in that direction later this summer at some point. It's something I've been curious about as well.

User avatar
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:27 am
Location: Farmington, NM

Re: Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Postby Ridge runner » Sat May 07, 2011 11:06 pm

If you zoom in on that flickr photo you can see some mountain goats along the ridge. So it can't be that bad, right? :wink:

Here's a picture of Ellingwood (center) from California:
Image

Here is a close-up of Ellingwood's north ridge:
Image

Kiefer wrote:I intend to head up there in that direction later this summer at some point. It's something I've been curious about as well.
Not without me, buddy.

User avatar
Posts: 1488
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:24 pm
Location: Monument, CO

Re: Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Postby globreal » Sun May 08, 2011 5:05 pm

If I recall from peaking over the edge, I think it's a couple hundred feet of shear drop off that north side of the Ellingwood summit. I don't think that long ridge goes all the way to the top of the peak. Can anyone confirm?
Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die."
~John 11:25

User avatar
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Postby mattpayne11 » Sun May 08, 2011 5:07 pm

Ridge runner wrote:If you zoom in on that flickr photo you can see some mountain goats along the ridge. So it can't be that bad, right? :wink:


Haha, that's my photo!

User avatar
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:51 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Postby Brad Snider » Mon May 09, 2011 12:29 am

@ globreal: Based several reports, the north ridge of Ellingwood Point can be down-climbed without rope as long as one is comfortable with exposure (http://www.summitpost.org/blanca-peak-and-ellingwood-point-from-lily-lake-trailhead/210400) and (http://www.summitpost.org/caught-in-the-crossfire-an-uncharted-route-up-ellingwood-point/219666) and (http://14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=3230&np=49&cpgm=tripmain). Apparently from everyone I've read in recent years, Roach's description exaggerates the ridge's upper difficulties. I was more curious about the ridge leading from the saddle to 13,618 and on over to 13,660, but from the looks of the photos and the other beta in this thread it's looking like that might be less difficult than the downclimb to the saddle, so I think I'll give it a go.

@ Kiefer: I was also considering the approach from Zapata Lake, "Crossfire Coulior" (http://www.summitpost.org/caught-in-the-crossfire-an-uncharted-route-up-ellingwood-point/219666) or "C2 Couloir" (http://www.summitpost.org/a-como-free-alternative-via-c2/659252) both look like good approaches to Ellingwood from that direction. For my purposes, I think the Huerfano / Gash Ridge approach would make a more aesthetic loop for what I am planning to do.

Thanks, all for the beta!

User avatar
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:51 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Postby Brad Snider » Mon May 09, 2011 12:32 am

mattpayne11 wrote:
Ridge runner wrote:If you zoom in on that flickr photo you can see some mountain goats along the ridge. So it can't be that bad, right? :wink:


Haha, that's my photo!



Nice pics Matt. Cool website too. Really makes me look forward to climbing Wham Ridge some day!

User avatar
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Postby mattpayne11 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:55 am

Brad Snider wrote:
mattpayne11 wrote:
Ridge runner wrote:If you zoom in on that flickr photo you can see some mountain goats along the ridge. So it can't be that bad, right? :wink:


Haha, that's my photo!



Nice pics Matt. Cool website too. Really makes me look forward to climbing Wham Ridge some day!

Thanks man - GL on the Ellingwood adventure - I'm interested in how you fare. I am sure it is doable, just need to do some careful route-finding.

User avatar
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 10:51 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Postby Brad Snider » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Just to update: I tried the traverse 6/22 but bailed for a couple of reasons. Weather was great, Gash Ridge was a blast and I made it most of the way down the north ridge of Ellingwood Point, but at 13,400 feet the rock turned to vertical 5th class choss that was breaking off in my hands. I was very altitude sluggish because of having come from sea level the day before and I decided to turn around at this point. Fortunately I had a car shuttle and my awesome wife was able to pick me up at 8,800 feet on the Lake Como Road after I went back up over Ellingwood Point. Still, a fun day on the 2 14ers!

Full trip report here: http://bradsnider.com/mountains/20110622.htm

User avatar
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 11:23 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Postby mattpayne11 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:19 pm

Brad Snider wrote:Just to update: I tried the traverse 6/22 but bailed for a couple of reasons. Weather was great, Gash Ridge was a blast and I made it most of the way down the north ridge of Ellingwood Point, but at 13,400 feet the rock turned to vertical 5th class choss that was breaking off in my hands. I was very altitude sluggish because of having come from sea level the day before and I decided to turn around at this point. Fortunately I had a car shuttle and my awesome wife was able to pick me up at 8,800 feet on the Lake Como Road after I went back up over Ellingwood Point. Still, a fun day on the 2 14ers!

Full trip report here: http://bradsnider.com/mountains/20110622.htm


Nice photos man. I commend you for your efforts! Not many people venture that far off route these days (and live) - :|
Good stuff. Keep em' coming!

User avatar
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: Ellingwood Point to UN-13,660 Ridge

Postby taylorbm » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:48 pm

Ridge runner wrote:If you zoom in on that flickr photo you can see some mountain goats along the ridge. So it can't be that bad, right? :wink:

Here's a picture of Ellingwood (center) from California:
Image

Here is a close-up of Ellingwood's north ridge:
Image

Kiefer wrote:I intend to head up there in that direction later this summer at some point. It's something I've been curious about as well.
Not without me, buddy.


@Ridge runner What time of year was that photo taken? I'm doing some research to get an idea of what Crossfire Colouir is like right now (i.e. how much and how long it holds snow).

If anyone has some recent photos or beta for the ridge coming up out of South Zapata Lake basin it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
--
Brandon

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Imcp and 4 guests