The Cog Railway

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Artvandalay
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (16)

The Cog Railway

Post by Artvandalay »

I know people have hiked Pikes Peak via the Cog route. Is this frowned upon or illegal or anything? Do I have to do it when the Cog isn't running? Even if it is illegal and I do it anyways, could I do serious jail time? Thanks.

Brady
Hi. I like to go outside.
Toni Marie
14ers: 13 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (9)

Re: The Cog Railway

Post by Toni Marie »

I'm not sure if it's illegal or not, but it is generally frowned upon. Here's the train schedule if you decide to do it:

http://www.cograilway.com/Calendar/CalendarDisplay.Asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could probably do this without much heat from anyone if you schedule your hike around the train's schedule, but do keep in mind that some frown upon this. If you do find out it's illegal, you probably shouldn't go forth.
Toni Marie
"I've seen it rainin' fire in the sky. The shadow from the starlight is softer than a lullaby. Rocky Mountain High, Colorado."
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

It is illegal because it is trespassing. Though the Cog Railway hasn't been too hard on trespassers on the Manitou Incline, they are a lot more protective of the tracks that they still use. Serious jail time is not going to happen, but if caught you can expect a decent fine.
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
TehWoopig
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TehWoopig »

I rode the Cog last year and, while I can't be for sure, I thought I remembered our guide saying that people sometimes hike the Cog route. She didn't say that you aren't allowed to do it after that statement. I don't think they would say anything like that if they had a problem with it. There must not be very many people going up that way.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

IIRC there are signs along the route that warn about trespassing on private property near the tracks. We rode the train a couple of years ago and decided to get off half way down and hike the Barr Trail back to Manitou. There were definitely signs when we got off at Mountain View that indicated that the tracks were private property.
Where ever you are... There you are.
SpringsHiker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (1)

Post by SpringsHiker »

CO Native wrote:It is illegal because it is trespassing. Though the Cog Railway hasn't been too hard on trespassers on the Manitou Incline, they are a lot more protective of the tracks that they still use. Serious jail time is not going to happen, but if caught you can expect a decent fine.
Agreed that it is trespassing and therefore illegal. Getting "caught" is not a big deal. I have done it once and have friends who have done it quite a number of times. Typically done early season when the trail is not clear and the rail is plowed. We have been seen by both the maintenance train and the regular trains. The maintenance guys basically ignore you--we had them pass us below windy point and when we got above 13K they were already out and working on a section of track. We walked right by them and they didn't say a thing and really didn't acknowledge us. On the regular trains, one driver waved at us and another kind of frowned. People on both train started pointing and got up and took pictures like we were some kind of wild life. I think if you are respectful and stay far from the trains so they don't have to worry about you--we stepped quite a ways off the track when they came--they pretty much let it go. Kind of like the incline in my mind.

It is quite a different perspective of the peak as compared to Barr Trail. You can see where you have been and where you are going a bit better than Barr. Note that the route is right about 9 miles so the average grade is steeper than Barr. Also, after passing Windy Point, the rest of the hike is on the west side, which is MUCH windier. We came out of a calm, sunny, kinda warmish hike on the east side and we needed every ounce of gear for the wind and cold on the west side.
"I am not a fizzy yellow beer drinking ninny!"