Anyone ever Mountain Biked DOWN Barr Trail?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Anyone ever Mountain Biked DOWN Barr Trail?

Post by Jim Davies »

Don't worry, a lot of hikers think the runners are rude too. It's just human nature to take an "us against them" attitude.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

Jim Davies wrote:
JA_son27 wrote:IWe jumped off the barr trail and weaved our way down an old overgrown trail eventually leading to a fire road. I don't know how we got there but we ended up hitting some crazy single track dumping us out near 7 falls.
If your route is what I think it was, you were probably close to where a new trail called Missing Link is about to be built connecting Barr Trail to Moraine Lake and Jones Park. It's part of the "south slope" opening that was torn grudgingly out of Springs Utilities foul clutches last year. :) There are roads connecting the reservoirs up there, and an old historic trail connecting Barr to the roads, as I understand it. Some of the local trailrunners are extremely interested in this trail, as it opens up a world of new long running loops in the area.

That makes sense, I do remember throwing my bike over a fence and feeling a little shady about the whole thing! :oops:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

Jim Davies wrote:
JA_son27 wrote:IWe jumped off the barr trail and weaved our way down an old overgrown trail eventually leading to a fire road. I don't know how we got there but we ended up hitting some crazy single track dumping us out near 7 falls.
If your route is what I think it was, you were probably close to where a new trail called Missing Link is about to be built connecting Barr Trail to Moraine Lake and Jones Park. It's part of the "south slope" opening that was torn grudgingly out of Springs Utilities foul clutches last year. :) There are roads connecting the reservoirs up there, and an old historic trail connecting Barr to the roads, as I understand it. Some of the local trailrunners are extremely interested in this trail, as it opens up a world of new long running loops in the area.
Missing Link FTW!

Also another way to enjoy Pikes without the crowds of lower Barr Trail or the sheer ugliness of the toll road.
MUni Rider
14ers: 51 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (20)

Post by MUni Rider »

tmathews wrote:
Kojones wrote:I've seen a group of 3 people unicycle down Barr. I was roughly 3 miles from the summit at treeline.
One of those was probably Ed (MUni Rider).
Yep, that trail is very ridable although there is a TON of loose decomposing granite gravel on the trail, especially below the incline connection trails. The only truely poor riding section that I have encountered is the 1/2 mile or so of trail directly below the A-frame. It's just a bunch of baby-head rocks that suck to negotiate on both one or two wheel machines. ---constant pedal strikes, which is pretty much a non-starter for a unicycle--- Below that, it's all good to the trailhead, especially the three or four miles surrounding Barr camp. I haven't ridden above the A-frame on one wheel due to bad luck/timing with the weather, but it appeared to be nearly all rideable with a few walkings spots near the summit. If you are riding with a training wheel (bike) it would probably be more possible.

If crowds are more the issue than trail difficulty, then just plan a Tuesday-Thursday ride that ends around 6:00-7:00 pm, after the threat of lightning has passed. In my experiences, that is the least crowded time, even around the incline. If flying down the trail is your style, then I would have to agree that Barr will be more crowded than nearly every other trail in the area. A unicycle decsent is roughly the same speed as a trail-runner, so I do not overtake most downhill traffic and thus don't experience that issue so much.

-Oh, and nearly all my rides on the Barr Trail have been solo. One of these days I'll hopefully be able to hook up with some of those other guys for a group ride up there.
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy course; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." (Theodore Roosevelt)

"Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit." (Edward Abbey)
snowbbdd
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by snowbbdd »

Barr trail is a great MTB ride. I have hiked the whole trail, and rode up to Barr camp and back down. It was an amazing ride, with really exciting decent! I did it on a week day, and didn't pass to many people. Riding up from Barr would be very difficult if I remember the hike correctly. Top down to Barr would be rough on anything under full 5" front and back travel. As for riding up the first 3 miles is killer but after that it is pretty mellow. I think round trip was around 3 hours.

Kevin
doggler
14ers: 57  8 
13ers: 162 7
Trip Reports (25)

Post by doggler »

snowbbdd wrote:As for riding up the first 3 miles is killer but after that it is pretty mellow. I think round trip was around 3 hours.
Kevin
Sounds about right - I am usually up in 2hrs, 30 mins talking to Neal and Teresa at Camp, and back down in 30 mins.

Compare with some run times on the same route - http://runpikespeak.com/results/2010combined.htm.
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Jim Davies wrote:

Jim, thank you SO much for this info. I appreciate all the up to date info you post on local Pikes Peak trails and issues. Very helpful. I was just talking with someone about this a few days ago, bemoaning the fact that you can't get past the "compound" fences a ways past Jones Park, to connect to the summit. We talked about the City opening up the South Slope area at some point, but I was ignorant of any detail.

So, when is this supposed to happen? Are we allowed to cross the water board area at this time?

Thx!
mountaingoat-G
14ers: 23  5  1 
13ers: 21 6 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by mountaingoat-G »

I have ridden Barr Trail several times, but up to the summit only once. I've ridden up the the A-frame maybe 2 times and to Bottomless Pit once.
This is my opinion: the ride from the bottom to Barr Camp is fine, both up and down. A mile or so beyond Barr camp and it starts to suck, up or down. I agree with the baby-head/pedal strike comment. The decent off the top sucks on the bike I was on (hardtail, v-brakes, 80-MM travel front fork). I was in so much pain (wrists, neck, back) after that decent that I swore I would never do it again. Of course, bikes have improved, but there is also the issue of pissing hikers off. I want to avoid that, and do most of the time. That is why I wouldn't try this during more crowded times. Sometimes it doesn't matter how polite you are and how much you yield, some people just don't want to see you on that trail.
The more people that are packed on the trail, the less likely they are to get along, regardless of what mode of travel they choose....
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Dancesatmoonrise wrote:So, when is this supposed to happen? Are we allowed to cross the water board area at this time?
The access won't be unlimited, only in certain specified areas, and nothing new has been opened yet. AFAIK the currently planned accesses are:
1. McReynolds, Mason and Boehmer reservoirs (Seven Lakes area, off Gold Camp road on the back side of Almagre Mountain), extensive trails and parking/restroom/picnic facilities planned.
2. Connector from Moraine Lake to Barr Trail
3. Connector from Moraine Lake to Boehmer
4. Ute Trail from Manitou Springs to Cascade
Note that a Ring The Peak connector to Horsethief Park isn't included, nor is the existing old climber's trail on the back side of Almagre from Elk Park.

#1 is already under construction, and Friends of the Peak has projects this summer to work on it (http://fotp.com/projects2011.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The big project weekend is August 20-21, when VOC is organizing it and you can camp overnight if you wish.
#2 is being planned by Medicine Wheel, and includes opening the gate from Jones Park to Moraine Lake.
#3 is low priority; don't know when they plan to do this one
#4 has been designed by a consultant, although word is the design hasn't been well received and might be revised, so they probably won't get started on this in 2011.

CSU has a page vaguely discussing the plan here, which includes a link to a 114-page PDF document with their detailed plan. The statement "hikes are filled for this summer" really means LAST summer, so there might be opportunities to see the reservoirs in a guided hike this year, but it won't be open until the trails/parking areas are finished.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
Alby426
14ers: 33 
13ers: 38 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Alby426 »

Did this in ... 1994 ! Imagine, no suspension :o)
It was a great ride, period! I may do it again!
The sixteen steps, you will probably will have to carry the bike a few times.
Be respectful of hikers and give them the right of way + try and announce your arrival.
It took us 3 1/2 hours to make it down and, our hands were done for by holding the brakes.

Do it!
Last edited by Alby426 on Thu May 12, 2011 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
My duty, as a human, is not to take, but, to give!
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Jim, thanks again for the update and additional info. #4 - I've hiked or biked that solitude a number of times. Is it not officially legit? I saw no signs to the contrary.
Jim Davies
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I always thought the Ute trail was legal also, but parts of it cross utilities property and officially is closed (like the Incline ;)). They're planning to re-route it a little ways south to get away from the utilities structures, plus build an extension from Longs Ranch Road to connect with the frontage road in Cascade. The last part is a big deal for the Ring the Peak trail, since currently hikers have to walk on US 24 in that stretch.