Angel of Shavano TH

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Artvandalay
14ers: 47  7 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (16)

Angel of Shavano TH

Post by Artvandalay »

Has anyone been to Angel of Shavano TH recently? I'm planning on doing Shavano Wednesday 5/4 (all are invited) and wanted to get any feedback on this route that any might have. I assume the TH is accessible but I really would be interested in knowing as much about snow conditions as possible going up (depth, consistancy etc.) I'll be flying solo so if anyone wants to go get lost in the forest with me it would be awesome. Planning on hitting the TH at 5:30 am driving from CO Springs.

Brady
Hi. I like to go outside.
RestUp
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Angel of Shavano TH

Post by RestUp »

I drove up to the trailhead last week and it was all clear except a little wet and few inches of new snow, but all very passable. The last days the northern Sangres and Collegiates have been getting pounded with snow. I live in Salida and look at these mountains every day. I dont think driving in will be any problem for you. Going up could be some extra work if there aren't tracks to follow, but it is all sun for the next few days, so I think you will be fine going up...
DaveSwink
14ers: 37  12 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

The good news is that the trailhead was easily accessible by four-wheel drive (even low clearance like my Forester) today, and it should by fine for two wheel drive by Wednesday since the new snow was melting out fast.

You will want (need) snowshoes for the approach to the Angel, and I highly recommend a GPS with the route to the base since the trail is hidden in new snow.

Now, the bad news; there is 8 - 12" of fresh powder sitting on top of a very firm base at the Angel. The Angel would be a complete wallow-fest right now rather than a fine snow climb. Our crude pit test showed almost no adhesion between the new snow and the hard base. :shock: The Angel of Shavano does not have a reputation for avalanche hazard but it had all of the wrong signs today. We backed off to the treeline and climbed the ridge to the East Slopes route but it had even more fresh powder on it (18 - 24") so we called it a day at 12K and bailed for burgers and beer in Salida.

It was a blue bird day with no wind and the views were incredible, but ya, we were disappointed that the Angel was not in condition. I would expect at least 10 days of freeze/thaw cycles to get the new snow ready.
Corndiggs
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Corndiggs »

Dswink,

Are you talking about the Blanks Cabin TH or the Angel of Shavano TH?
Can't Get No Higher!

"Home grown, Colorado's own. Colorado bred, Colorado to the bone. Colorado dread, I got Colorado soul and I'm gonna rep Colorado everyone that I go!" - Quintessential
DaveSwink
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

Sorry, the Blanks Cabin TH.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 120 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

What about the snow drift blocking the road (252, i believe?). Did you get past the drift?
SnowAlien
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Last trip report called it "impassable" unless in a Tacoma truck. With new snow it could have gotten a bit worse. Thinking Jason's truck might make it through. It is about 3 miles away from the summer TH start.
http://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepor ... ki=Include" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DaveSwink
Trip Reports (6)

Post by DaveSwink »

So, just to clarify, my comments are about the approach to the Blanks Cabin trailhead, not the Angel of Shavano trailhead although I don't know why someone would use the Angel of Shavano trailhead even to climb the Angel.

The big drift on 252 is easily passable as of Monday, May 2, even after the new snow.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Post by SurfNTurf »

I wrote that TR, and I had someone PM me about a week later saying it was now possible to drive over the drift.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Carl
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Carl »

dswink wrote:So, just to clarify, my comments are about the approach to the Blanks Cabin trailhead, not the Angel of Shavano trailhead although I don't know why someone would use the Angel of Shavano trailhead even to climb the Angel.

The big drift on 252 is easily passable as of Monday, May 2, even after the new snow.
Agreed on the road access. I just updated the TH status page. There was a BMW sedan and an Audi sedan at the TH on Saturday.

As for the Angel of Shavano TH, it's oddly named, but I have climbed the Angel from that TH when the closer TH is not yet accessible.
SnowAlien
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Great! Thanks for the info guys. A month ago this road was impassable for my Forrester :)
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

MountainFever wrote:how do i get a picture to show up under my name?
Go here: http://14ers.com/forum/ucp.php?i=profile&mode=avatar