April 1st - First Time Climber

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BrianU
Trip Reports (0)

April 1st - First Time Climber

Post by BrianU »

I am planning to scale my first 14er the weekend of April 1st this year. I am a marathon runner and triathlete, so I would like to think I have good endurance. However, most of my training is at sea level. Considering the weather/snow in CO that time of year, what would be a good peak to start. I'd like more of a challege then just a hike, but I don't think I am ready for any exposure yet. Thanks in advance for the help!!
strongmelon
Trip Reports (0)

Re: April 1st - First Time Climber

Post by strongmelon »

BrianU wrote:... my first 14er ... April 1st this year.
Choose a different date and ask again.
climbing_rob
14ers: 58 
13ers: 121
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbing_rob »

Ignore Mongrelsnot, he/she/it knows nothing about CO.

But maybe his/hers/its point is: You are talking the peak time of CO snowpack.

Elbert via the S. Elbert t/h should work for you (assuming your serious), but expect zillions of tons of snow. Probably a good track in for you though. If the weather is reasonable, this should be a safe route for a rookie. Then there's Pikes via. Barr trail. Nice half-way house (Barr camp) if you want to break this marathon into two days. Beware near the top though; this is not a completely Avy-safe climb. Elbert is.
strongmelon
Trip Reports (0)

Post by strongmelon »

climbing_rob wrote: Maybe his excellency's point is: You are talking the peak time of CO snowpack.
UUUUUHHHHH! Wrong, you lose.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Quandary's east ridge would probably be your best option. Snowshoes, gaiters, extra layers, possibly an ice axe would all be good to have, along with an experienced partner. Maybe stronglemon would like to accompany you.
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
jimlup
14ers: 27  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by jimlup »

Yeah, you should definitely rent snowshoes. REI rents them at a reasonable rate. Snow will likely be deep then you'll definitely need gaitors. East Ridge is a relatively safe avalanche route but you should go with an experienced partner because there are short sections that could slide given the right conditions and plenty of stuff just off the route that could go. The route is straightforward but at that time of year you could get into trouble if you are not with someone who knows the mountains at least a little.
"Just because you have the gear does not mean that you are a Mountaineer!" My daughter's cynical comment about my hobby...
JsinDeAZ
14ers: 37  1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by JsinDeAZ »

BrianU wrote:I am planning to scale my first 14er the weekend of April 1st this year. I am a marathon runner and triathlete, so I would like to think I have good endurance. However, most of my training is at sea level. Considering the weather/snow in CO that time of year, what would be a good peak to start. I'd like more of a challege then just a hike, but I don't think I am ready for any exposure yet. Thanks in advance for the help!!
There's a group forming to hike Mt Whitney in this time frame... If it's your first 14er, make it the highest in the contiguous. Only difference is swapping an A for an O in your post.
-----------------------------
I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. - John Muir

...I love not man the less, but Nature more... - Lord Byron