Barr Trail conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pklotzbach
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (8)

Barr Trail conditions

Post by pklotzbach »

Hello everyone,

My wife and I were thinking about running up to Barr Camp or perhaps the A-Frame tomorrow on the Barr Trail, and we were wondering what conditions were like on the trail currently. Can we get by with Yak-Trax, or would snowshoes be a better idea? Thanks!

Phil
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Barr Trail conditions

Post by d_baker »

Guessing, but I doubt snowshoes would be needed for most of the trail, or until Barr camp anyway, unless you want to carry them. Yaks or micros for sure.
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

I was there (Barr Camp) this past Saturday and there was no need for snowshoes. Yak Traks weren't even necesary. There was one short ice patch that was easily avoided off trail, and then some ice near the Camp. I'm not sure what has happened this week, but I doubt snowshoes would be needed.

That was my first time on this trail - very nice for a winter hike.
tmathews
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tmathews »

dubsho3000 wrote:I was there (Barr Camp) this past Saturday and there was no need for snowshoes. Yak Traks weren't even necesary. There was one short ice patch that was easily avoided off trail, and then some ice near the Camp. I'm not sure what has happened this week, but I doubt snowshoes would be needed.

That was my first time on this trail - very nice for a winter hike.
You were up there on Saturday? Were you a part of that CMC group?
Tripper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tripper »

pklotzbach wrote:Hello everyone,

My wife and I were thinking about running up to Barr Camp or perhaps the A-Frame tomorrow on the Barr Trail, and we were wondering what conditions were like on the trail currently. Can we get by with Yak-Trax, or would snowshoes be a better idea? Thanks!

Phil
I was up on the Barr trail Monday this week... snow was loose and drifted up to 3' in places (10" - 15" most everywhere else) above Barr Camp. Trail was difficult to follow the closer I got to the A-Frame... (did not get higher... breaking trail to A-frame took more time than I had expected).

While I was in SSs above Barr Camp... and the trail was pretty packed when I got back down... there was another 3 - 5" of snow overnite Monday and - if there was any more snow this week... w/ wind... that track may well be completely gone... (as may be the boot track I left when I hiked out on Tues AM)

When I hiked out on Tues... I did encounter a few 2+ ft drifts... but not frequent enough to warrant putting on the SSs. Microspikes were good enough for the traction needed where there was ice under the snow...
pklotzbach
14ers: 56 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pklotzbach »

Thanks for the update!
Tripper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tripper »

Ohh... forgot to mention... If you are headed to the A-Frame... keep the traction on yer feet... even if the snow looks thinner! The snow around thr A-Frame ~is~ thinner (wind-blown) but there is a virtual skating rink of ice all around / under the snow! Not sure what the cause is... (if there's a creek nearby that runs over an freezes... or what... ) but I was surprised..... took a bit of a fall when I ditched the SSs and tried to walk on the snow (covered ice) in my boots... ouch!
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

Planning on heading up that way tomorrow the 13th. Any trail updates from what you find today would be appreciated.
Thanks
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I hiked up to No Name this morning. Went up without traction device (micro's), but came down wearing them. Packed snow/ice, some dirt too. It's manageable without traction if you take extra care, but it's easier with some kind of grippy traction.
hunterwf
14ers: 37 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hunterwf »

Planned on taking micros and just seeing how far I make it. I am guessing there is less snow above treeline than below. Supposed to warm up nice today and tomorrow. Of course that may just make it worse though :)
There are other Annapurnas in the lives of men.

- Maurice Herzog
Waggs
14ers: 26  2 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Waggs »

What time hunter? I'm going to take a shot at getting to the Oil Creek Tunnel tomorrow (Sunday).

Waggs
Gloves are optional. Mittens mandatory - S. Gladbach
Tripper
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Tripper »

Waggs wrote:What time hunter? I'm going to take a shot at getting to the Oil Creek Tunnel tomorrow (Sunday).

Waggs
Not to hijack the thread.. but I saw the sign for that... What is it?

Any connection / relation to that concrete 'tunnel' (looks like a storm drain) lower on the Barr Trail?