Which peaks in Sawatch?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Which peaks in Sawatch?

Post by peter303 »

Since you are both a flatlander and somewhat older I'd recommend Huron
as a warmup peak and test your condition..

Oxford-Belford is the easiest pair of the three pairs.
And if you are really feeling strong and the storm gods are kind that day, you can triple it with Missouri.

They are all beautiful and unique.
Holy Cross would be the most arduous.
Derek
Trip Reports (57)

Post by Derek »

Yikes wrote:
Derek wrote:
Shavano/Tab (Standard...not sure why so many people dislike this one)
Mile .5 to 1.5 is like walking up a creek bed with baby-head rocks. Really sucks coming back down.
Along the creek in the woods is nice.
The part just prior to the saddle is too steep and loose.
Above the saddle is ok; big rocks just prior to summit are nice.
Yeah, I guess after leaving the Colorado Trail its a bit annoying for a distance. I think the reason I like it so much is the trail above treeline. It so nice and gentle, goes really fast. The summit area seems to come unbelievably quick...(I've even hiked unranked Espirit Point to the "angel's right" on a seperate occasion with my GF because I enjoyed it.)
JA_son27
14ers: 54  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (31)

Post by JA_son27 »

I personally think that Holy Cross offers up the most beautiful, albeit most difficult hike in the Sawatch. If not HC I would go with Huron.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

Huron is an awesome hike. I would have to say Shavano is another hike with some great views from the summit.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
jlarocco
14ers: 34 
13ers: 45
Trip Reports (1)

Post by jlarocco »

IMO some of the best hiking in the Sawatch is accessed via county road 390.

There's quite a few campsites along the road and easy trailhead access for five 14ers and a bunch of 13ers. Hiking ranges from relatively easy (such as Huron) to epic combination hikes (like Missouri, Oxford and Belford).

Also, the view from the peaks in that area are some of the best in the Sawatch.
huffy13
14ers: 22 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (30)

Post by huffy13 »

jlarocco wrote:IMO some of the best hiking in the Sawatch is accessed via county road 390.

There's quite a few campsites along the road and easy trailhead access for five 14ers and a bunch of 13ers. Hiking ranges from relatively easy (such as Huron) to epic combination hikes (like Missouri, Oxford and Belford).

Also, the view from the peaks in that area are some of the best in the Sawatch.
I agree with this. Great camping at Winfield and it is easily accessible.
Seems like the times that I need a mountain the most are the times that I can not get to them.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Post by MtHurd »

Holy Cross is by far the best Sawatch 14er. I didn't mention it because it isn't very close to Buena Vista.
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

No way, Ouray is the best Sawatch 14er. Only half joking....the Grays Creek/Devils Armchair routes are probably my favorite in the whole range, and you can almost reach 14K' from the summit if you stretch real high. :)
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
OBC13
14ers: 38 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by OBC13 »

I have a hard time ranking these so I am just listing them in the order that I would return to climb them again.
Holy Cross
Shavano/Tab
La Plata
Missouri
Yale
Huron
Harvard
Columbia
Belford
Elbert
Massive
Princeton
Oxford
OBC13
Michael J
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Michael J »

I haven't climbed all of the Sawatch 14ers, but I would have to agree that Huron is the prettiest of the hikes of the ones I've done. Hearing about Holy Cross nakes me want to climb it next Summer.

"I've often heard a voice call down to me
If you'd climb higher you'd find wondrous things to see..."