Chicago Basin in winter

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Yikes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 112 15
Trip Reports (29)

Chicago Basin in winter

Post by Yikes »

I have only paid attention to the avy forecast for about 5-6 years, but don't ever remember seeing Southern San Juans in the green for such a long period of time (thanks to this year's weather patterns). Is this atypical (i.e. once every 50 years)?

Is anyone planning on taking advantage of the situation and claiming a winter ascent in Chicago Basin? I don't have the experience or the stamina, but just wondering if anyone is licking their lips? I know that the hike from Purgatory typically has avy danger, but not sure if the snow pack is safe now...

Of course the whole situation could change in a week or two.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Chicago Basin in winter

Post by Kiefer »

Yikes wrote:I have only paid attention to the avy forecast for about 5-6 years, but don't ever remember seeing Southern San Juans in the green for such a long period of time (thanks to this year's weather patterns). Is this atypical (i.e. once every 50 years)?

Is anyone planning on taking advantage of the situation and claiming a winter ascent in Chicago Basin? I don't have the experience or the stamina, but just wondering if anyone is licking their lips? I know that the hike from Purgatory typically has avy danger, but not sure if the snow pack is safe now...

Of course the whole situation could change in a week or two.
Steph and I are working on logistics upon heading in during her Spring Break, 3rd week in March I believe.
I'm looking for a couple folks who want to enlist in this massive trench-breaking endevour! :wink:

...and yes. It is unusual to see the S. San Juan in the green for so long! It's killing me that I couldn't manage to get off work to take advantage of it!
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Kiefer wrote:Steph and I are working on logistics upon heading in during her Spring Break, 3rd week in March I believe.
I'm looking for a couple folks who want to enlist in this massive trench-breaking endevour!
Hey Kiefer,
No guarantee on my availability given that it's a couple of months out, but keep me in mind for that March trip. I'd be up for trying Sunlight. Hope all is well & good luck on your other endeavors,
-Tom
Dorje1018
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Dorje1018 »

I think the CAIC forecast is a bit of a stretch, especially for the Needle, West Needle and Grenadier. Conditions around Coal Bank and Molas are more in tune to the North San Juan zone forecast.
mountainfreak241
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountainfreak241 »

I am interested in this as well. Sunlight, Windom and Eolus. Anyway, let me know if it comes to fruition...
"I go to the Wind Rivers, more than the other ranges I know, to experience mountains in their totality." - Joe Kelsey
Glen
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Glen »

Kiefer, I may be in. If Steph and I have the same days for spring break.
"I remember when I used to be into nostalgia."
Manky
14ers: 57  21  4 
13ers: 38 8 1
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Manky »

Went into Chicago Basin last spring and skied Sunlight and Windom. We went in on May 8th which was the first day the train was running for the spring. We had to pack our skis and boots about halfway in until we got to snow. I would much rather go in earlier and face a long approach than have such lean snow conditions. Also consider going in from either Vallecito Creek or Endlich Mesa. The Endlich Mesa approach is makes sense if you have snowmobiles drop you off at the top of Endlich-I think you could get into C-basin in two days this way. There was a polish guy who ventured into Chicago Basin last winter solo. We read of his epic accounts on each of the summit registers as we climbed. He wrote that it took him 6 days to get in from the Purgatory side with snowshoes-burly. FYI, avy danger has changed as it always can, and I am sure the danger is back up right now, but will alleviate soon with nice weather. If anybody gets in there this winter, let's hear about it!!
Everything has changed, is changing and will continue to change...
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Manky wrote:If anybody gets in there this winter, let's hear about it!!
:lol:
yeah, really, would someone please post a tr already? :D
jeez.

(Manky, this post isn't a bash to you, others around here will know what I'm talking about.)
mtgirl
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 104
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtgirl »

d_baker wrote: yeah, really, would someone please post a tr already? :D
jeez.
You couldn't possibly mean that humble guy who absolutely refuses to boast about his worthy accomplishments and constantly gives all the credit to others, do you ?? :wink: I'm anxiously awaiting that trip report myself !
"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

mtgirl wrote:
d_baker wrote: yeah, really, would someone please post a tr already? :D
jeez.
You couldn't possibly mean that humble guy who absolutely refuses to boast about his worthy accomplishments and constantly gives all the credit to others, do you ?? :wink: I'm anxiously awaiting that trip report myself !
Yeah, I'm talking about that melon guy. What's his name?
Blind Melon? no, I think that is a band.
Water Melon? Oh! noo...that's a fruit.
Hmm...I guess don't know what his name is after all.
Maybe there should be a poll or something to find out who he is.
(just a bit of thread drift here folks)