Holy Cross Conditions

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pills2619
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Holy Cross Conditions

Post by pills2619 »

Does anyone have info on the standard north route and the road leading to the trailhead on Mt of the Holy Cross, thinking of heading up there soon.
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook
RobertPetrowsky
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Holy Cross Conditions

Post by RobertPetrowsky »

The snow up there compares to most years in March. I know the area is something like 190% of average for this time of year. I think any climb right now will be very weather dependant. It should get about 2 feet out of this current storm and from what I have seen of that ridge from Vail it is starting to get a good snow cover. With the cold coming in that snow should still be thin enough to start faceting. I don't want to tell you not to do it but I think it is a very serious undertaking right now.
pills2619
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pills2619 »

Thanks for the info, are there any other 14ers that you would suggest since it sounds like you have some pretty up to date info?
They forget that some crisis is necessary to hone skill. "Near misses," those brief encounters with the reality of mortality, are great learning tools if properly approached. -Denali Climbers Guidebook
RobertPetrowsky
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RobertPetrowsky »

If you're doing Sawatch 14ers stay on easier ones with good ridge walks. There have been some large slides in areas that don't normally slide in the last storm. Anything that didn't will be suspect in this current storm. I think any thing other than Holy Cross should be much easier depending how long of approach you want. I would ask someone else if you try Missouri/Belford/Oxford since I haven't been in that area. I was at the Harvard/Columbia TH last week and there is a very nice skin track headed up it but the parking is about 3 miles out. That, Princeton, or Elbert may be the best options right now... Hope that helps some. If you wait another week I'll probably have skied something in the area and will have better beta.