Snow camping practice 12/11-12/12

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
iceman
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Snow camping practice 12/11-12/12

Post by iceman »

Looks like a great trip. Hope to make it out on the next one.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Kiefer, nice "Call of the Wild" shot!!
Britt, I think that summit picture w/me in it is about the best summit shot/expression I've seen on my face EVER! ;)
I would have posted a picture of Mike (Mad Mike), but it's only a black blur.
I'm very happy the mountain had enough snow on it so the flames coming off of his heals did not burn it down.

I hope we can do another trip later this winter, oh wait, it's still fall. Hmm. :)

-Darin

ps...Steve, when are you going to give out the "Best Beard" award? I think I came in second. What's the prize? ;)
greenwok
14ers: 21 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by greenwok »

lostsheep5 wrote:I'll admit, I'm a tad bit jealous from looking at the snow in the pics and that you guys got a summit. Gotta love studying for finals. Congrats on everyone that made the trip and or the summit!
Super nice those of you who went on the adventure! I too am a little jealous - and while I wasn't studying for finals as Eric was, I was in between work travel providing bookends to that weekend, and at that spent 6 hours working Saturday evening (Violins playing I know) - but only after hitting the Incline and doing a little shopping at Mountain Chalet - so still had my priorities a little straight 8)

Thanks for posting the photos - I had been looking forward to seeing them all weekend!

Cheers!

KG
The question is not what you look at, but what you see
-Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Thanks for the photos, you guys. Great!

And congrats on a wonderful, successful, and safe outing!!!

Jim
Johnson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 42
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

d_baker wrote:Kiefer, nice "Call of the Wild" shot!!
Britt, I think that summit picture w/me in it is about the best summit shot/expression I've seen on my face EVER! ;)
I would have posted a picture of Mike (Mad Mike), but it's only a black blur.
I'm very happy the mountain had enough snow on it so the flames coming off of his heals did not burn it down.

I hope we can do another trip later this winter, oh wait, it's still fall. Hmm. :)

-Darin

ps...Steve, when are you going to give out the "Best Beard" award? I think I came in second. What's the prize? ;)

I totally agree about the shot of Steve! Classic!

As for Mike, the shutter speed on my camera was too slow to catch him.

Darin, I wish I had gotten a shot of your icy beard but I think Cooper won on the "ice-covering-the-fur-thing!"
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
zoriloco
14ers: 18  1 
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Does anyone have an idea of the tempetures at the summit and wind velocity at the summit on Sunday? I know that I was pushed around a several times by the wind. But have no clue as to specific numbers.

thanks!
Johnson
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

zoriloco wrote:Does anyone have an idea of the tempetures at the summit and wind velocity at the summit on Sunday? I know that I was pushed around a several times by the wind. But have no clue as to specific numbers.

thanks!
I could estimate some numbers for you. I'd say mid 20's and 15-20 mph? I think it's fair to say there were many gusts to 35 along the route with an occasional 45 jolt to knock you down. On the positive side, the coarse dry blowing snow in my face saved me money on having to buy and ex foliating cream.

Funny thing was that the summit was not particularly windy compared with the rest of the trip.
In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also. - Psalm 95:4

"I would be doing myself a disservice and every member of this band if I didn't perform the hell out of this." - Gene
zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Thanks for the number, I was really thinking we had lower tempetures. I remember starting to shake at the top because of the cold.
Johnson
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Johnson »

zoriloco wrote:Thanks for the number, I was really thinking we had lower tempetures. I remember starting to shake at the top because of the cold.
Allen, I would humbly defer to another number. But like I said, the top was "mild" compared with the rest of the climb for some reason. IMO. If it were 20 degrees with a 20mph wind it would feel like 4 degrees. One gets cold standing around taking pics and sight seeing at 4 degrees.

zoriloco
Trip Reports (16)

Post by zoriloco »

Ohh yes I agree that it was because we were moving around that I didnt feel as cold during the climb. It amazing how much heat our body produces while in movement. I did pretty much the whole thing in a base layer and that top shell. Im sure if I would of put on a mid layer or even my down jacket at the top I would of been fine.
sgladbach
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 710 37
Trip Reports (29)

Post by sgladbach »

The Slumgullion snotel site (11,440') puts the temps at 22F at 11AM when most summited. Since the temp drops abot 3.3F for every 1000' gain, the summit temp was near 12F.

The winds were about 25 mph sustained w/ 60 mph gusts.

That puts windchill at about 10-20 below near the summit. Frostbite danger becomes more significant about 17 below. That is consistent with the pre-cursory typical white patches we saw on one nose.

Also, Snotel puts the overnight low around 20F at the elevtion of our camp. No wonder we slept warm.

Steve
Last edited by sgladbach on Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knocked the bastard off." Hillary, 1953
"It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves." Hillary, 2003
Couldn't we all use 50 years of humble growth?
WIclimber
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (0)

Post by WIclimber »

emcee smith wrote:Any lessons learned or surprising revelations to share would be appreciated. Looks like an interesting outing.
Learned: I can sleep warm on a winter hike.
Still wondering:
1. Was it the double layer of ThermaRest or the warm bodies on either side of me? (I was fortunate to be the middle person in a 3-person tent.)
2. How could we have kept our sleeping bags and tent walls dry? We awoke to damp sleeping bags from the condensation inside the tent. It wasn't a problem this weekend because we packed out after the summit, but another night in a wet sleeping bag would have posed difficulties, to say the least. What are the tricks to staying dry?

Learned: Chemical warmers are a hot (pun intended) commodity on a winter hike. I took 2 sets and could have used at least two more. The "Grabbers" brand (available at REI) worked; a hiking partner's Walmart brand did not.
Learned: Hot water bottles feel really good inside your sleeping bag. Use them.
Learned: Always bring a water & wind proof layer on winter hikes. Staying dry is key.
Learned: Susan Joy Paul was right again. "...camping is highly addictive. I think I sleep better on the ground any more, than I do in my own bed." This was just downright fun. From trudging in, to tamping down snow to make the tent pad, to summiting after a tough hike. I'm hooked.