Weather changing Fri/Sat/Sun

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gratzo
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Weather changing Fri/Sat/Sun

Post by gratzo »

Since our weather has been almost perfect for weeks (no afternoon thunderstorms), I wanted to give a heads up that this will be changing - slightly - heading into the weekend.

Thu - low chance of afternoon storms in the Sangre de Cristos after 3pm

Fri - good chance of a few storms in the San Juans after noon

Sat - good chance of a few storms along the front frange after 3pm

Sun - good chance of storms around most CO mountains after noon

Just keep this in mind as you plan late week and weekend adventures. The storms won't be anything to keep you off the mountain, but might force you to go up a little earlier so you're below treeline before any chance of lightning.

By next Tuesday/Wednesday, a colder storm might put down a few inches of high-elevation snow, but this is seven days away and the details of the forecast are unreliable at this point.

I'll have an update posted on Friday AM here: http://www.DontGetZapped.com
50% of the time, it works every time.
Weather forecasts for playing outside...that's what I do as a meteorologist.
http://www.ChanceOfWeather.com
http://www.OpenSnow.com
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Weather changing Fri/Sat/Sun

Post by peter303 »

And hints of snow above treeline tue-thur of next week.
jmkaes
14ers: 22 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Weather changing Fri/Sat/Sun

Post by jmkaes »

Really appreciate the update and the website link! We are coming out to Vail/BC next Thursday and plan to hike Massive and Belford, then possibly head to Lake City for a few days.
"Now, nearly all those I loved and did not understand in my youth are dead, even Jessie. But I still reach out to them... When I am alone in the half-light of the canyon, all existence seems to fade away to a being with my soul and memories of the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River, and a four-count rhythm, and the hopes that a fish will rise. Eventually all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the earth’s great flood and runs over the rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words. And some of the words are theirs. 'I am haunted by waters.'"

"Five card stud, nothing's wild, and the sky's the limit!"