Snow Conditions on Crestones

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mdavenport2
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 87 3
Trip Reports (0)

Snow Conditions on Crestones

Post by mdavenport2 »

Anyone been to the Crestones on Thursday Sept. 23rd and have information on how much snow there is on the peaks. Difficult climbing conditions?
traderaaron
14ers: 16 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Snow Conditions on Crestones

Post by traderaaron »

It did snow in the area last night but I can't give you details on it, I just know the area got snow, sorry I can't be of more help, the mountains around the Sand Dunes appeared to have a pretty light amount of wet snow, can't speak directly to the Crestones.
joelsteidl
14ers: 23 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by joelsteidl »

++ Any info would be great! Heading down tomorrow for a Saturday attempt on the Needle.
mdavenport2
14ers: 55  1 
13ers: 87 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mdavenport2 »

Thanks for the info traderaaron.
jdogg55
14ers: 17 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jdogg55 »

Any updates on snow conditions at South Colony from last weekend? Headed up on Sat 10-02 depending on the conditions for either the Peak to Needle traverse or the standard route up the Needle. My favorite 2 mountains of all time, but with how unforgiving the CO mtns have been this year to our fellow climbers, wanting to be especially wary. Watching the weather closely so thanks in advance for any info on current conditions.
WSN
14ers: 31 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (3)

Post by WSN »

jdogg55 wrote:Any updates on snow conditions at South Colony from last weekend? Headed up on Sat 10-02 depending on the conditions for either the Peak to Needle traverse or the standard route up the Needle. My favorite 2 mountains of all time, but with how unforgiving the CO mtns have been this year to our fellow climbers, wanting to be especially wary. Watching the weather closely so thanks in advance for any info on current conditions.
I was there 2 days ago. Some snow in the north-facing gully just bellow Broken Hand Pass-- still can climb up and down with caustion. The rest of the route is basically south-facing and dry.
jdogg55
14ers: 17 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jdogg55 »

Thanks WSN...appreciate the beta. Sounds like it's "a go".