What did this storm do to the Elks?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
CR0SS
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: What did this storm do to the Elks?

Post by CR0SS »

The skiing was not that bad. The climb up was difficult with the old snow being more ice than snow. With crampons and a earlier start the skiing would have been great today. The snow was wet and heavy by the time I made turns. I did not expect any dry snow after the warmth yesterday so I did not push for an early start today.

Sierra Club, helping to confine humans within city limits one acre at a time.
Jesse Peterson
14ers: 17  8  7 
13ers: 62
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Jesse Peterson »

Cross, nice work dude. Way to keep the streak alive!!

Let's hope the snow gods bless us in October. That man-made crap isn't snow, it doesn't count. Waste of ski area money in my opinion.
"As for mountains, there are mountains hidden in jewels, there are mountains hidden in marshes, mountains hidden in the sky; there are mountains hidden in mountains. There is a study of mountains hidden in hiddenness." Dogen Kigen , Mountains and Rivers Sutra
Dancesatmoonrise
14ers: 58  43 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (68)

Post by Dancesatmoonrise »

Ditto, Cross, nice work in some tough conditions.
Steaky
14ers: 25 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Steaky »

As of Saturday, S. Maroon had little to no snow on the standard South Ridge route. The traverse from S. Maroon's summit to the Bell Cord had up to 6" of powder (though generally had less) and ice and was treacherous in several places. South facing aspects of the traverse were generally snow free and dry. By mid-afternoon, shaded aspects of the traverse were icing up, held snow, and were wet. The crux move that we had was about 2/3 of the way through the traverse. The low 5th class 25ft climb onto a spire was dry and preferable, but the 4th class bypass on the ledge around the East side looked awful dusted with snow and water. To me, at least.

Descending off of N. Maroon's NE ridge was slow going, snow-covered, and aggravating. Though I'm confident there was a way around it, we were chasing sunset and set a 30' hand line somewhere between 13,500 and the summit because of some tricky moves on a short cliff band that was iced up and snow covered.

From the parking lot that morning, the Bells did not look to have as much snow as they did because the ledges did a great job of hiding it from our low perspective.
hollamby
14ers: 58  2  2 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hollamby »

The Bells:

North from South Maroon:

South from early traverse:

Cord:

Pyramid from 13,000 ft gully:

Pyramid Route:

If anyone needs any beta let me know. I think that most the snow will be completely gone within a couple days if not soon. No problems with snow interfering on Pyramid. Steaky outline the Bells well.

Ryan
It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.
Edmund Hillary