Ideas on winter climbs

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mmcclellan
14ers: 23 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Ideas on winter climbs

Post by mmcclellan »

My partner and I are wanting to do a winter climb(standard routes) and are looking for info on 14ers that are accessible for 2 guys new to crampons and ice axe work. We were hoping to find peaks that are not as avalanche prone. We also would have to consider the approach, vehicle or foot and snow levels hindering that. I know lots of you all climb in winter and hope you'll lend us your experience. Curtis has climbed 18 and I have 7, all of mine in the Sangres.

Thanks,
Matt
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Ideas on winter climbs

Post by Scott P »

This should help with your question:

http://www.summitpost.org/list/337648/C ... inter.html

The East Ridge of Elbert (assuming you stay on route) is one of the safest winter routes on a 14er. It is very long if you do it in a day though.

Quandary is perhaps the easiest winter 14er. It usually is safe from avalanches, but on rare occasions can have some danger. Bierstadt used to be the easiest winter 14er, but that varies with the road closure. See the above link for more information on other peaks.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
MtHurd
14ers: 57  4 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Ideas on winter climbs

Post by MtHurd »

Lincoln, Bross, and Democrat are all pretty good winter 14ers with low avalanche issues. Bross is the easiest and safest and is a much better climb in the winter than in the summer. You'll want to be careful if the snowfall has recently been heavy, but otherwise it's usually pretty safe. You'll have to add a mile or two to your approach as the road to Kite Lake won't be open all the way.