Maroon Bells - snow?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Mantana
14ers: 11 
Trip Reports (0)

Maroon Bells - snow?

Post by Mantana »

I haven't been following this site recently, so forgive me if this topic has recently been discussed.

I'm hoping to do the bells traverse this upcoming saturday (11th) and was wondering if anyone has recent first-hand info or pictures on the amount of snow. The most recent trip report for N Maroon I saw was last tuesday (31st) and I'm sure things up there have changed since then. Thanks
JB99
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Maroon Bells - snow?

Post by JB99 »

As of Saturday there was zero snow to be seen on the Bells as far as I could tell...
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not."
unclegar
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (9)

Post by unclegar »

I was on S. Maroon on Thu and N. Maroon on Fri and there was really no snow to contend with. I did notice a little fresh snow to the N side of S. Maroon's summit, but don't think there is a significant amount of snow up there. I don't know the traverse route but I would expect there could be a little on the N. facing parts. Don't know if that helps at all but that was my observation.
...the mountain peaks belong to Him. -- PS 95:4

“All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.”
― Charles M. Schulz
Michael J
14ers: 58 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Michael J »

I was on N. Maroon yesterday (Sunday) and there was very little snow. However I would caution about your descent from N. Maroon on the north facing slopes toward the top. I'm sure the snow will be gone by the time you go up but I ran into a pretty hairy situation yesterday. On my ascent I came to a section that the route description called the 'rock band'. It said that you could go to the right to an easier class 3 section with loose rock. The combination of loose rock, mud, snow, and ice was almost my undoing. Just be careful on anything that is north facing. Sometimes I would rather see complete coverage or none at all.

"I've often heard a voice call down to me
If you'd climb higher you'd find wondrous things to see..."
csuram
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by csuram »

I did the traverse on Saturday. We didn't really notice much snow on South until we were on North's summit and looked back. The traverse was clear, no problems there. As previously mentioned, descending off of North there was a little bit of icy snow that was a bit tricky. But it was such a small part of the hike! I'd post some of my pictures, but I don't know how to make them small enough to be allowed :? Have fun!! That was a great hike :P
"The great thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving" -Oliver Wendall Holmes
CR0SS
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CR0SS »

You will want to have very up to date info. Tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night snow is in the forecast. Temps are getting to the point where any snow will not melt away very fast.
Sierra Club, helping to confine humans within city limits one acre at a time.