CF on Grays and Torreys....

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Muhlenberg Hiker
14ers: 6 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: CF on Grays and Torreys....

Post by Muhlenberg Hiker »

Crowds don't bother us at all. Love it up there.

Preseton
coloradokevin
14ers: 15 
Trip Reports (5)

Post by coloradokevin »

Labor Day Weekend is a great time to NOT be on a mountain in Colorado. I once made the mistake of heading up Longs on labor day weekend, just as I've foolishly tried backpacking and car camping on that weekend during other years. Personally, I don't want anything to do with most Memorial Day, 4th of July, or Labor Day trips these days. It's just too hard to get around in the mountains!

hollamby wrote:
BAUMGARA wrote:then summit at 4:45am and wait for the sunrise.
That's crazy for this time of year. The sun doesn't break the ridge until 6:30. Sky turns red and starts to lighten around 6ish. 4:45 is way to early for the end of the season IMO.

Ryan
I agree with the idea of summiting crowded peaks for a sunrise, but have to go with Ryan on the time. This time of year it can be darn cold in those mountains just before day break, and I'd want to hit the summit just before sunrise. I just looked through my Longs boulderfield photos from a two weeks ago. I started taking pictures when I first saw a hint of light (my camera won't allow manual shutter speed control). I couldn't even register a real photo until about 0608 hours, and the days are only getting shorter!

If I were planning a climb this time of year on a popular peak, I'd shoot for a sunrise summit at about 6am. I'm always horrible at estimating the best time to be up for any given time of year. But, in this case I was able to make an assumption based on the times recorded in my camera. By way of example:
Attachments
Alpenglow on Longs (also at 6:38AM)
Alpenglow on Longs (also at 6:38AM)
Alpenglow.JPG (142.58 KiB) Viewed 1330 times
Sun rising at 6:38AM
Sun rising at 6:38AM
IMG_3045.JPG (80.83 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
This was at 6:21 AM on Longs with upslope clouds (08/31/10)
This was at 6:21 AM on Longs with upslope clouds (08/31/10)
IMG_2995.JPG (99.44 KiB) Viewed 1329 times
jniehof
14ers: 4 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jniehof »

huffy13 wrote: I think I piss everyone off that just happens to be between Clayton, NM and my destination...I drive the speed limit, (sometimes a little slower) just so I can take in the views of the mountains,
No complaints here. We need more sane drivers in NM. Just keep an eye on the road :)
lordhelmut
14ers: 50  21  5 
13ers: 300 60 1
Trip Reports (73)

Post by lordhelmut »

Aug_Dog wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:My initial thought was there was a free Dave Matthews concert on the summit, which would've made the day even worse. I'm with RichH, no more 14er standard routes in the summer. This isn't out of elitism, this is out of common sense and making good use of one's free time.
Funny you mention this because two weeks ago we summited Longs. On the way up in the dark, this young cat passed us. He had no headlamp, but had a glow stick attached to his front side and one on his back side. We had stopped to take a break and I joked as he passed, "What, are you going to a rave? Are you going to a Cheese show?"

He laughed. Stopped. Said in a Polish accent, "Am I going to a cheat show?"

We talked for awhile and he lives in Detroit via Poland. He had flown back out to try Longs for a second time. Super nice guy. I am so glad we talked.

On the way down, he came up behind us yet again and said, "Man, Paul Oakenfold was amazing. DJ Sasha is next I hear. Best rave I have ever been to."

I almost fell down the darned gulley I was laughing so hard.

Point of this is to realize that climbing is not just yours and it would be pretty selfish of you to think it is. It's for all walks of life and if you can embrace that, who knows what kind of story you will get out of that.

Furthermore, heading up Longs and looking back and seeing all those headlamps as the sun was coming up was a very spiritual sight.

My two cents ...
Fair enough, I'll agree to severely disagree. And I wasn't talking about Paul Oakenfold, I was talking about Dave Matthews and I'll replace "a very spiritual sight" with "a foreseeable clusterf**k". Just my 2 cents.
screefieldstevie
14ers: 19 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screefieldstevie »

jniehof wrote:
huffy13 wrote: I think I piss everyone off that just happens to be between Clayton, NM and my destination...I drive the speed limit, (sometimes a little slower) just so I can take in the views of the mountains,
No complaints here. We need more sane drivers in NM. Just keep an eye on the road :)
That's ABSOLUTELY FINE as long as you stay in the RIGHT LANE............there is nothing that I can't stand more than someone puttering along in the left lane and backing up 20 cars............I find that this is horrible in Colorado....everyone liking to sputter in the left lane................*rant over*, have an excellent day \:D/
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh
Doug Shaw
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Doug Shaw »

screefieldstevie wrote:That's ABSOLUTELY FINE as long as you stay in the RIGHT LANE............there is nothing that I can't stand more than someone puttering along in the left lane and backing up 20 cars............I find that this is horrible in Colorado....everyone liking to sputter in the left lane................*rant over*, have an excellent day
What's almost as annoying............. is people who fail in .... almost every possible facet ............. of ellipsis usage.

lordhelmut wrote:I'll replace "a very spiritual sight" with "a foreseeable clusterf**k".
It can be both if you look at it from the perspective that "some of these people might meet their maker today."
screefieldstevie
14ers: 19 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by screefieldstevie »

Doug Shaw wrote:
screefieldstevie wrote:That's ABSOLUTELY FINE as long as you stay in the RIGHT LANE............there is nothing that I can't stand more than someone puttering along in the left lane and backing up 20 cars............I find that this is horrible in Colorado....everyone liking to sputter in the left lane................*rant over*, have an excellent day
What's almost as annoying............. is people who fail in .... almost every possible facet ............. of ellipsis usage.

lordhelmut wrote:I'll replace "a very spiritual sight" with "a foreseeable clusterf**k".
It can be both if you look at it from the perspective that "some of these people might meet their maker today."

Well I take that back.....whats actually more annoying are your smart a$$ comments.........I was trying to be very polite, but to people like you who seem to be holier than thou it's never good enough..........well, at least now I know who the grammar police is here on 14ers.com
"Cause the Rocky Mountain Way Is better than the way we had" - Joe Walsh
Aug_Dog
14ers: 31 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aug_Dog »

lordhelmut wrote:
Aug_Dog wrote:
lordhelmut wrote:My initial thought was there was a free Dave Matthews concert on the summit, which would've made the day even worse. I'm with RichH, no more 14er standard routes in the summer. This isn't out of elitism, this is out of common sense and making good use of one's free time.
Funny you mention this because two weeks ago we summited Longs. On the way up in the dark, this young cat passed us. He had no headlamp, but had a glow stick attached to his front side and one on his back side. We had stopped to take a break and I joked as he passed, "What, are you going to a rave? Are you going to a Cheese show?"

He laughed. Stopped. Said in a Polish accent, "Am I going to a cheat show?"

We talked for awhile and he lives in Detroit via Poland. He had flown back out to try Longs for a second time. Super nice guy. I am so glad we talked.

On the way down, he came up behind us yet again and said, "Man, Paul Oakenfold was amazing. DJ Sasha is next I hear. Best rave I have ever been to."

I almost fell down the darned gulley I was laughing so hard.

Point of this is to realize that climbing is not just yours and it would be pretty selfish of you to think it is. It's for all walks of life and if you can embrace that, who knows what kind of story you will get out of that.

Furthermore, heading up Longs and looking back and seeing all those headlamps as the sun was coming up was a very spiritual sight.

My two cents ...
Fair enough, I'll agree to severely disagree. And I wasn't talking about Paul Oakenfold, I was talking about Dave Matthews and I'll replace "a very spiritual sight" with "a foreseeable clusterf**k". Just my 2 cents.
Relax, my friend. I wasn't coming at you. I can see the frustration and have experienced it before. I don't think I'll ever do G/T again for the same reason, but point is, "it is what it is," so no point in getting all bent out of shape because a lot of folks want to try and accomplish a 14er.
Go get it
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

lordhelmut wrote: Second, 3-5 hours from Arvada? Put down the bottle of Monistat 7 and step on the gas.......
Ha!
That's the funniest thing on the forum in a long time.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Kovar
14ers: 16 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Kovar »

Jim Davies wrote:
wildlobo71 wrote:Use this "lesson" to realize that the Front Range peaks will never be lonely places between May and October.
Au contraire...this is the summit of Bierstadt the last time I was there, August 18th, 2009.
Bierstadt2.jpg
It helps to arrive after 4 pm on a Wednesday. :)
The top wasn't quite so quiet at about 9 a.m. on 8-19-09. Probably a half dozen folks up there when we arrived on top. I should've stuck around for a while so I could've gotten I your photo Jim.
winmag4582001
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 28
Trip Reports (10)

Post by winmag4582001 »

Missy_Goat wrote:
plark42 wrote:My fiance and I hiked Grays yesterday (9/5/2010) from Steven's Gulch and there was probably at least 300+ people hiking along with us. It was, without a doubt, a ClusterF*ck.. (CF). I know it was labor day weekend, but come on, really? We passed soooo many people from Nebraska, Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma... who most likely used 14ers.com to pick a mountain to climb.. I seriously doubt they own a 14er guidebook of any sort..
You know, I resent this. I grew up in texas, went to school in oklahoma, and live in kansas. We climbed toreys today.....what would you expect on a holiday weekend......you andature? You sound well versed in 14ers. If you dont want crowda DONT climb the two peaks MOST WELL KNOWN peaks for crowds. :evil:

Or start at 5am like we did, and summit with only one other group.

I agree with Missy_Goat, I grew up in Iowa (Indianola) and I resent that comment! I guarantee you that 99% of the people there are way to fat to hike anywhere! They were probably just sitting in the parking lot waiting for a early morning photo op of the mountains.
"Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else."