Castle and Conundrum - Crevasse?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
moon stalker
14ers: 58  3  47 
13ers: 270 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Castle and Conundrum - Crevasse?

Post by moon stalker »

The crevasses are definietly a concern in this area. The loose rock as well. This is a 'no fall' zone. As Trevor said, we watched a bunch of rocks slide into the bigger crevasse, a person could easily do the same if you slip in the wrong place. As hard as we tried not to start rocks moving too bad, it was impossbile. The rocks were big, loose, and on a steep slope. I think the objective should be to stay high, that way, if you fall, you may have time to catch yourself. Problem with that is you are closer to the wall of rock ont he ridge to Conundrum, which could shed on top of you. Pick your poison. Also, as Trevor stated, there are now two features to avoid after getting past the large crevasse. One is the smaller crevasse he shows in the photo, the other is what I would call a slump feature. It could develop into a crevasse, I have no idea how long it would take. I wonder how long it has looked the way we saw it. I have pictures, but I'm unlikely to post them tonight. We went between the two features on a 2 to 3' bridge between them, not ideal. And I will admit that I stayed in that area a little too long, but I wanted to see what was going on. Sorry Trevor! :-} It's not every day you can look into the inside of a rock glacier. It was cool. If you'd rather avoid the mess, just go back over Castle. And I agree once the snow starts to fall, this area would become even more dangerous by covering up all these holes that are large enough for people to fall into and get hurt. I will say we evaluated our options from several viewpoints on our way over to Conundrum and on the way back down. Don't go in blind, see what you can see, make your own call.
LIFE is what happens when plans go awry.