Fresh layer of white on Pikes Peak

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Fresh layer of white on Pikes Peak

Post by Scott P »

For those interested, August is the wettest month up there and snow is common in summer (though it usually doesn't last long).

http://www.summitpost.org/fact-sheet/33 ... stics.html

In itself it doesn't indicate an early fall season or snowy winter, but is normal. I wouldn't break out the skis yet.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
CR0SS
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CR0SS »

There has been rain on and off all day here. Sopris looks like there might be a hint of snow on it. Capitol Peak is still dark from the cloud cover so I can't tell if it has any snow.
Sierra Club, helping to confine humans within city limits one acre at a time.
CO Native
14ers: 58  2  15 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (50)

Post by CO Native »

Scott P wrote:For those interested, August is the wettest month up there and snow is common in summer (though it usually doesn't last long).

http://www.summitpost.org/fact-sheet/33 ... stics.html

In itself it doesn't indicate an early fall season or snowy winter, but is normal. I wouldn't break out the skis yet.
buzz kill
Remember what your knees are for.
http://www.hikingintherockies.com
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

Heavy snow isn't allowed until A-basin finishes installing their new lift. 8-[
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
CR0SS
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CR0SS »

They will probably work faster with snow falling around them.
Sierra Club, helping to confine humans within city limits one acre at a time.
RckyMtnWildman
14ers: 41 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RckyMtnWildman »

I was up there, 1.5 miles from the summit, on Barr Trail, today when it rolled in around just after noon. Lightning and thunder started blasting all around and the heavy rain quickly tranformed to mostly 1/4" graupel(more like hail) mixed with some snowflakes. At the sign that says 1500 ft cirque, I started feeling a current from my hand to my treking poles and my hair was standing up! My being up there was stupid and I didn't have room for a retreat. Most other ascenders behind me backed off, minus a marathon lady, running in just shorts. She was running fast but had an horrible look of concern on her face. By the time she caught up to me, she was panting, and very concerned. When she asked me if I was worried, I told her of my hair and the treking poles, she started running,and asked over her shoulder: what should we do? I told her all we could do is push on, the east face of Pikes is enormous, it was 2 plus exposed miles back to tree line and under a mile to the top. She kept running up, I wanted to run too, but I was exhausted from carrying my 50 pound backpack and hiking earnestly since 7:15 to meet my family who bought my return ticket on the cog for my return. 16 Golden Stairs, not so golden, constant rain made the rock slippery and cold temperatures/extreme exertion caused my calves and quads to start spasing. I could hear the departing train horns, but more the thunder. I pushed on, but my calves got tighter and tighter, and the THUNDER!, I wanted to just fall and crawl under a rock! Finally, I propped over the edge to see the stone building and the fully loaded train. I started for the train, only to find both my calves lock up, they both flexed and wouldn't come undone! I couldn't walk! I just grimaced and wobbled on my poles. Passengers in the train stared in bewilderment, I wanted desperately for someone to run over and pick me up, but it was too dangerous, I thought for sure lightning we strike me in front of all these people! I began hopping, and then my calves loosened. Final steps to the top were wonderful, I could walk! Snowflakes were blowing around and people were running from the shelter to the train, it seemed like heaven to me, and best of all, I made my train within 5 minutes of departure!
kenike
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kenike »

I absolutely could not believe it when I came out of the gym at Peterson and saw the white Peak in front of me! I chose the treadmill today because of the weather (didn't matter if I was in Springs or Pueblo, it wasn't an outdoor run day) and watched the storm on the face of the mountain out the window in front of me. It was starting to clear when I headed for the locker room. 20-minutes later and the Peak was visible. I tweeted a meteorologist friend a "HOLY CRAP!" message and tried to get a couple of cell phone pictures. I'll have to email them to see if they show up at all.

That said, I just mentioned to my next door neighbor last night that I'm not sure the pumpkin vines aren't trying to tell us something. I've already harvested 4 pumpkins, which is unheard of! Hers went in about a month after mine and she's pulling her first ones off this week, too. I've never harvested before mid-September, even when planting in late April. Fall very well may be approaching quickly! Guess who'll be checking the summer shed on the ponies tomorrow? *raises hand*